This just in from Hemmings concerning street racing in MN

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
Legislation
Avert Your Eyes in Minnesota
Waiting in the Crime Prevention and Public Safety Committee for the 2006 session of the Minnesota State Senate is SF0595, the “Motor vehicle speed contests prohibition” bill. SF0595 and its House companion, HF2245, are mostly pretty conventional pieces of legislation setting out definitions and penalties for illegal (read: stoplight) racing and so forth. But they contain a worrying little piece of language in section C, which states that “A person who observes, watches, or otherwise acts as a spectator to a speed contest that is illegal under this subdivision is guilty of a petty misdemeanor.” That’s right, if the bill passes, if you even see cars racing, you’ve committed a crime! Consider yourself warned—the next time you’re in Minnesota and you hear something that sounds like a fast car, be safe and look the other way.

- By David Traver Adolphus

This law already exists in Iowa. I'm not sure of the exact wording, but yes, it's illegal to watch a street race. I think it's up to $100 for the 1st offence.

Now they are talking about following California's led. They want to be able to take your car away if you are convicted of street racing.

Solution: Take it to the track! :eek:

You know, people will screw anything up. In lots of places, people used to just "rope off" a section of road and had some good clean racin and the law never cared, but over the years people start actin' a fool, and it can no longer go overlooked.

According to some of the guys I know from here, they would occasionally have the local news crews doing a sory once in a while, kinda advertising for em. It was not legally sanctioned, just kind accepted. But people started getting drunk, high, stupid, doing stupid tings, then it became a problem and they put a stop to it...

I know in Alabama, the police can legally oversee a speed contest, and other states probably have similar laws, but no city in the country would do anythiing like this these days; too much liability.

Luckily we still have the strip.

We've had quite a street racing problem around Vancouver for years. Hell a RCMP officer got killed by a guy racing with his licence suspended and he only got a longer licence suspension, no jail time.
I don't doubt there's some guys out there who don't screw around and aren't doing 150kmh down a major city street but you can't make a law for some and not others. I'd rather see police in the US and Canada clamp down on it and make people go to the track.

I personally witnessed 2 kids street racing get into a bad wreck-the kids racing had minor injuries-compared to the 18mo infant they killed-both are facing vehicular homicide and numerous other charges-hope they like spending some time in the graybar hotel.

yeah people do stupid things... especially those ricers... people with real power under the hoods know how to control themselfs.... i remembered this stupid guy in his INTREGRA lost control during a race and crashed it... he immedietely phoned it in as a STOLEN VEHICLE and got away with it... but yeah poeple do start doing stupid things like what was described above... its those kinda ~~~~~ that makes me so glad i dont visit the "spots" anymore.... sucks when people get away with stuff...

Ask my friend Bobby... he was street racing a R32 Golf in his SC and they were going up Broad St and decided to start skipping stoplights.... tboned the SC and totalled it. He's 31 years old as well mind you.

Doesnt matter if its kids in a ricer or an older guy in a Mustang.... everyone does it at some point.

And they pass those laws to keep street racing from being such a spectator sport. But still ridiculous nonetheless.

darkstar_one said:
yeah people do stupid things... especially those ricers... people with real power under the hoods know how to control themselfs.... i remembered this stupid guy in his INTREGRA lost control during a race and crashed it... he immedietely phoned it in as a STOLEN VEHICLE and got away with it... but yeah poeple do start doing stupid things like what was described above... its those kinda ~~~~~ that makes me so glad i dont visit the "spots" anymore.... sucks when people get away with stuff...

Not true. A 50 year old in Vancouver driving a Corvette hit a lady crossing the street and killed her. There are a bunch of idiots out there and not all of them drive imports.

Of course there are domestics who street race, guys post here a fair bit about street racing their SC's. But around here the majority of the guys racing are import drivers. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter what you drive, just how you drive.

Grims95SC said:
Of course there are domestics who street race, guys post here a fair bit about street racing their SC's. But around here the majority of the guys racing are import drivers. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter what you drive, just how you drive.

I know I'm just trying to prove a point.

Back