car is almost fixed...

bigcletus94

I am sure many of you have read and some replied on my previous posts about my 94' SC. I had put a new motor in it and was having a ton of problems getting it to run. I took it to the dealer and were able to find a problem. I forgot to bolt the EGR valve to the back of the motor and it was creating a huge vacuum leak. :eek: They were going to put the bolts in for me and charge me $120 (1 HR 1/2 labor) to do that. I did it myself in about 15 minutes so I only had to pay a diagnostics fee of $80.

After I put the bolts in, I started it and it sounds almost like it used to! The motor ran pretty good for the most part. There was some vibrations around 1500 to 2000 rpm and lower rpms though which has not been resolved yet. :confused: It revs out very smooth in the higher rpm range. Also, the main problem still is that it wont idle. It still just sputters and dies after I take my foot off of the pedal. I think there may still be a vacuum leak somewhere else but I'm not sure. I have checked everywhere I can think of. The car is at the dealer still and they are going to look at it today or tomorrow. I just hope it is something simple.

A possibility; how old are the fuel injectors? I had a car that would sputter and die every time I released the accelerator, it had dirty injectors.

the injectors are probably the originals as far as i can tell...I never changed them and I doubt the original owner ever did..

Verdict from the dealer is that two cylinders were not firing. They said my plugs are fouled and my coil pack is bad. They are replacing them tomorrow for $320. We'll see if I can finally drive it home tomorrow or not.

Hmmm.

Well if you need plugs replaced, and there are any miles on them, get all 6 replaced.

Steep price for a coil pack, but I guess there is diag time in there. I have a coil pack pulled of a car in a salvage yard that I only paid $8.00 for. Of course I don't know of it's any good, but I assume it is.

That's a little lesson for everyone to invest in a timing light. A timing light hooked to each wire in sucession should have shown no spark on two cylinders. Depending on the cylinders involved, it's a dead giveaway to a coil pack problem.

Back