Kill Switch

90XR7Cougar5spd

I have ben wanting to put a kill switch in my car to prevent theft. What wire would i wanna hook it up to and how would i wanna run my wires ect.

Thanks

Derek

actually the best kill switch would be to kill the fuel pump... some guy has it here so his kill switch kills the fuel pump.... i wanna see the look on a person when he thinks he got away with the car and bam it just dies on him.... and doesnt turn on anymore... it will crank but not turn on... hell i rather have a burntout starter then a stolen car...

darkstar_one said:
hell i rather have a burntout starter then a stolen car...

Yeah no kidding, i had a buddy that had a kill switch on his truck and some one tried to steal it, well he woke up the next morning to go to work to find the door had been jimmied and his steering collumn broke, then he found out the his started was burned up, it saved his truck, so i wanna put one on my car, i dont trust many of the people i live around.

Derek

Ive been thinkign about this idea. All you would need (i think) is a switch to interrupt power to the fuel pump relay. Just flip it off when you leave and if someone tries to start your car, it will only run for like 30 seconds.

Why not just have the switch cut power to the fuel pump and starter. That way, when they try to crank it the first time, they will know that they aint going anywhere. Could prevent any further damage, physical or mechanical. (just make sure that you use relays with your kill switch...
:) :)

The Inertia Switch in the trunk can be used as a kill switch. You'd need to open the trunk every time, though, to turn it on and off. I used to use it when I went away on long vacations. I would go one step further and instead of pressing the switch off I'd unplug the connector to it to outwit a would-be thief.
In my opinion, the easiest way to install a kill switch for the fuel pump is to wire a switch in series with the inertia switch. Instead of running two wires from the trunk to a convenient point under the dash, the wire to the inertia switch can be accessed at a connector behind the trim panel below the EEC (I think it's called the passenger side kick panel). This is a 10 pin connector with 8 wires on either side (tan/orange, red, red/light blue, red/orange, tan/light green, and red/light blue, and two pink/black wires). You will need to cut the red wire and connect the two ends to your kill switch.
I don't think that a kill switch between the ignition switch and the starter relay would be that effective as the thief will probably try to short the two large terminals on the starter relay (although on a manual transmission he/she would need an accomplice to press the clutch pedal).

If a kill switch was made to cut power to the fuel pump relay, would if be effective? After they started it, they really wouldnt be going anywhere.

i used the inertia switch on my girlfriend once... she got mad and tried to leave with my car luckily i had just popped the switch off and when she got to the driver side and turn on the engine it started and then she tried to leave out of the parking space it just died and she tried to crank it over... and it just wouldnt start... she felt so embarrassed... in the middle of the street..it was in front of this restaraunt too... LOSER!....

Last edited:
Back