Car wont do nothing

90XR7Cougar5spd

I finally got my XR7 together a few hours ago and i hopped in the driver seat to fire it up for the first time, and i turned the key, and guess what, NOTHING. I tried crossing it at the solinoid on the fender well and just a little spark and thats it. WHATS THE DEAL????? I hate this car, if i didnt have to some money, blood, sweat, tears, and MONEY, i would throw some gas on it and throw and match on it and have a great big weiner roast. WTF is the deal???????? And oh yeah, ive double checked the wires going to the starter and i found a ground wire that i forgot to connect, fixed it and still notta

Thanks

Derek

Take the starter and see if you can get it to work jumping it right there at the battery. I didn't think about a dead battery, but you said the lights were working. Hmmmm. :confused:

NCredSC said:
Take the starter and see if you can get it to work jumping it right there at the battery. I didn't think about a dead battery, but you said the lights were working. Hmmmm. :confused:

Battery is nice and fully charged, charged it last night and the most of today, it sitting at 13 volts or something like that. i think the soliniod on the starter is the culprit. I tested the motor on a few min ago and it worked fine, went to test the solinoid on the starter, and it didnt do anything. Im going to have it tested the proper way tom. Hopefully it is my problem..........

Derek

Just for fun, my buddy could start any car with a suspect starter solenoid by hitting it with a hammer, no joke and it works. Give it a shot, see what happens.
Phil

Phillio99 said:
Just for fun, my buddy could start any car with a suspect starter solenoid by hitting it with a hammer, no joke and it works. Give it a shot, see what happens.
Phil

Already tried it, the starter in my truck started to act up, i climed under it, beat on it for a while and i fired right up everytime, but, the one on my car is being stubborn

mostly its the brushes in the starter go bad if it just clicks but you could check the small wire to the starter for connection

rlong said:
mostly its the brushes in the starter go bad if it just clicks but you could check the small wire to the starter for connection

Starter is fine, i tested it last night and had it tested the right way today

Finally, i got it to work, car turns over great now. I still hae one question, while turning the motor over, i get alot of "smoke" out of the PCV holes in the valve covers, Fresh motor, what could be causing this????????

90XR7Cougar5spd said:
Finally, i got it to work, car turns over great now. I still hae one question, while turning the motor over, i get alot of "smoke" out of the PCV holes in the valve covers, Fresh motor, what could be causing this????????

What did it end up being? As far as the smoke, you won't see it with the pcv lines hooked up. I think the smoke is normal.

i think the starter is one its way out, i can test it off the car, and it works great, then i put it on, and it works great, but after some crankning, it will quit working, crawl under it and whack it with a bigt hammer several times and it work work, for a while, im just going to pick up a new starter this weekend.

Derek,

Make sure the small wire on the starter has a good TIGHT connection (as was suggested). My starter acted the exact same way as you are describing. I was sure I needed a new starter. It would act up, I would reach under and beat on it (apparently, vibration from beating on it wiggled the wire) and it would work fine for a short time. After a few starts it would act up again and kept getting worse and worse. Before I pulled the starter and got a replacement I decided to double check all connections. Only one that didn't seem good was that small wire. Pulled it off, cleaned both the male and female connectors with WD-40 and a small wire brush, reconnected it and squeezed it tight with a small pair of Vice-Grips. That was 4 months ago and it has started perfect ever since.

Tracy

I put a new connection on it when i put it on the first time, and its nice and tight. I also cleaned off the posts on the starter to ensure a good connection when it didnt want to work. I havent had the time to mess with it yet, work has me pretty busy, but im going to try an work on it this weekend.

Derek

Ok its official, im an idiot, i finally figured out my problem. The main power wire that goes from the solinoid to the starter motor it self was slightly loose, didnt notice it when i was cleaning off the one right next to it. I tightened up the nut and put it back on and it turns over quite nice.

Derek

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha and did I say ha ha

sorry but ive done this too, dont worry the stupid feeling goes away after awhile :D

Back