Dumb auto trans fluid question...

Deep6

I'm going to go shopping later for a bunch of fluids for my 93 Saturn beater.
I'm going to flush the auto trans fluid out.

It uses Dextron III. Is there a synthetic equivilent of this fluid?
I want to get some fresh fluid in there and possibly some sort of "trans-fix" additive. When you accelerate from like 20mph to 45mph there is humming noise coming from it. It's done this ever since my mom got the car stuck in the snow and she was trying to rock it out. The noise is like "Hmmm mmm mmm rmmm rmmm " as you accelerate.

Just thought I'd ask.

Deep6 said:
I'm going to go shopping later for a bunch of fluids for my 93 Saturn beater.
I'm going to flush the auto trans fluid out.

It uses Dextron III. Is there a synthetic equivilent of this fluid?
I want to get some fresh fluid in there and possibly some sort of "trans-fix" additive. When you accelerate from like 20mph to 45mph there is humming noise coming from it. It's done this ever since my mom got the car stuck in the snow and she was trying to rock it out. The noise is like "Hmmm mmm mmm rmmm rmmm " as you accelerate.

Just thought I'd ask.

add a bottle of "Lubegard" in the Red bottle to the Dexron fluid. It helps with heat dissipation, it's one of the few additives that's not "Snake oil". however, the tranny may already be toast; sounds like she got it real hot trying to get it unstuck; and a fluid change will not fix internal damage! You are probably wasting your time and money changing the fluid at this point but it might be worth a try

Agreed...

I understand that nothing in a bottle is going to "Fix" internal damage. But there are things out there that might quiet it down and make it shift smoother overall.

For the small amount of money that I'm going to invest, what do I really have to loose? My mom did that to the transmission about 4 years ago... It's held up ever since. It's just a humming noise. Mostly apparent around 25mph and slowly disappearing as you approach faster speeds. I know it's the trans since if I'm cruising at the speed it makes noise, I'll put the shifter into Neutral and the noise goes away. Maybe some Valvoline Max Life might be the answer. I used it in my Other 93 Saturn Coupe with 204Kmiles and it helped a little bit with harsh upshifts.

It's a 12 year old car anyway. I'm not really looking for the Ultimate driving experience from it. More like, the Ultimate economy-low maintence/all around family/so I don't have to use the T-bird/mobile.

Can I use Mercon V in a Transmission that originally specified Dexron IIe/III?

Back