i am almost done with sc's(need help with some eng. trouble)

super89

first off i cant get my car to idle and its about todays just fine.and there is smoke coming out of the hole where u put the eng. oil in and this all happened after i got my exhaust put back on.i thought it might be low/bad gas cuz it sat for a while so i put quarter tank of 93 in it didnt help much and i have water in my rad. right now cuz there is a leak in the resivor and i cant afford that much coolant.

PLEASE HELP WHAT COULD THIS BE??????

thanks,
BILL

What have you done to the car recently that would effect the way it runs?

Off the top of my head, I think my vac is around the high teens, 20-ish.

COuld be some sort of vac leak, IC leak....Something clearly doesn't sound right though.

V8Supercoupe said:
What have you done to the car recently that would effect the way it runs?

Off the top of my head, I think my vac is around the high teens, 20-ish.

COuld be some sort of vac leak, IC leak....Something clearly doesn't sound right though.

it ran fine until i had a shop put my exhaust back now i am havin these problems

Well messing with the exhaust shouldn't affect the idle vacuum reading only the boost reading due to the change in back pressure. I'd go back and see what else they messed with. But I doubt they are going to admit to anything cuz they won't want to be liable. You are describing a vac leak perfectly. The idle and low vac reading are dead give-aways. Bust out the propane and spray it around the ic and the rear of the engine near the windshield, something may have came off. The pcv pipe/hose is notorious for sliding off the rear of the throttle body inlet plenum. Check that too.

Scott Long said:
Well messing with the exhaust shouldn't affect the idle vacuum reading only the boost reading due to the change in back pressure. I'd go back and see what else they messed with. But I doubt they are going to admit to anything cuz they won't want to be liable. You are describing a vac leak perfectly. The idle and low vac reading are dead give-aways. Bust out the propane and spray it around the ic and the rear of the engine near the windshield, something may have came off. The pcv pipe/hose is notorious for sliding off the rear of the throttle body inlet plenum. Check that too.

what does the propane do like what would i be looking for when i put it by it? and i am have big time trouble getting my sc started now.

i think i may have found the broken vac. line can you guys tell me what/where this goes?

Attachments

• sc 001.jpg
    sc 001.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 123
  • sc 002.jpg
    sc 002.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 99
  • sc 003.jpg
    sc 003.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 67
  • sc 004.jpg
    sc 004.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 84
  • sc.jpg
    sc.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
and i also forgot to say that i have to disconnect the line from the bypass valve to even build boost

The propane should make the car rev up. I get a propane torch kit and open the valve but don't light it, just spray around where you think the leak is and if it revs up you found it.

Scott Long said:
The propane should make the car rev up. I get a propane torch kit and open the valve but don't light it, just spray around where you think the leak is and if it revs up you found it.

i can get my car to crank but now it wont start what could be do this.do u want it if i cant figure this out, 1500 o.b.o and its urs

low vac reading= big vac leak. Check your Ic connections, what are you using to seal them, have you taken anything apart? IntakeManifold gasket could be bad, did you get in a car wreck/fender bender could have broken a IC tube thats what happened to me. you could have a big vac line, like the one coming off the back of the inlet plenum loose, check that. Just keep looking use the torch, use your brain.
Phil

Check your balancer. Does it spin true? Could have wiped out your crank sensor. That would explain it progressively getting worse and now a no start.
Phil

S_Mazza said:
Maybe your fuel pressure regulator isn't working right. Did you fix the vacuum line yet?

no i cant figure out where that hose would go but could this be fouled plugs? and my crankshaft pulley was really lose and i found i peice of metal in the timing cover ill post pics a lil later cuz im still workin on the super coupe. and i have yet to try to start it yet

ok now i have another problem with my P.O.S everytime i go to start it, its very hard cranking and it draws the lights down alot, but my battery is full and after crankin it my battery post and wires are very hot! what could cuz this?

sorry about all these questions just one thing after another keeps goin wrong

Does the crank pully/balancer wobble? If it does probably time to replace the balancer and crank sensor, it will never start if the crank sensor is gone. Upshift light on while cranking?
Phil

Phillio99 said:
Does the crank pully/balancer wobble? If it does probably time to replace the balancer and crank sensor, it will never start if the crank sensor is gone. Upshift light on while cranking?
Phil

umm im not sure about the upshift light being on ill check today but yes it was wobbling when i could get it started.

One thing that could cause hot battery terminals is high resistance at the connections between the cables and the terminals. Try cleaning both with a battery brush and some Coke. Don't electrocute yourself. Once you get the metal nice and shiny on post and cable and hook it back up, put some dielectric grease on top. See if that helps.

S_Mazza said:
One thing that could cause hot battery terminals is high resistance at the connections between the cables and the terminals. Try cleaning both with a battery brush and some Coke. Don't electrocute yourself. Once you get the metal nice and shiny on post and cable and hook it back up, put some dielectric grease on top. See if that helps.

ok well i cleaned the posts and cables and it didnt help but i tryed the screw driver trick to to make it crank and that worked but it wont start and the bottom big pulley is wobbling like crazy would this make it not start? and how do i fix this cuz i dont see how the balancer could make the pulley wobble like that.

Back