why won't my SC launch

SCGuru92

I've been to the track about 5 times now and I just cant get a decent launch off the line. I either bog down or spin the tires. I've tried all different RPM's, water box and no box, burnout /no burnout. come to think of it ,it wont launch on the street either. Is there a trick to these cars, is it the independent rear, or am I just a retard?

I'm running basically an advanced Stage I setup, with no slicks. I'm currently using Cooper Cobra 245/45/17's. I'm not going to buy slicks to use once a year. I feel that the car should be running mid to high 13's. But I keep running 14.2-14.6.

Any input appreciated
Thanks
Derek Holland
SCCoA#1305

I'm not experienced in racing these cars, but I had this problem for the longest time on the street after getting my SC. In my case, it was simply a matter of taking extra time to get adjusted to it. I found the right amount of clutch slip combined with proper gas pedal input was the key. Perhaps there is a problem with your clutch?

Good launch...

These cars have alot of trouble hooking up at the track, but I think you're problem is the selection of tire. I know that the cooper cobra is one of the "greasiest" tires out there.

Instead of using slicks, you might consider a set of Nitto Drag radials. They can be street driven in the summer time and they can give you that edge you need.

Other things that affect traction, are you running an automatic sc or 5-speed. The 5-speeds tend to have the big wheel hop problems, Things that folks have done to solve this, is a bigger anti-sway bar, polybushings and air bag in the rear springs.

The 5-speeds have a limited slip differential (LSD) and so do the automatics, but 94-95 automatics had a regular open diff and electronic traction control.

The clutch packs in the LSD can wear quickly and won't perform well for you. Consider some modifications to kill a little low end torque, bigger exhaust, Light weight flywheel/aluminum driveshaft, higher rev cam.

Street tires do not need burnouts other than just a quick little spin to clean them off, the water box will do more harm on street tires than good. A good launch RPM is about 1500.

Back