Waste gate

91ScDrIvEr

Can i put a better waste gate on to create a boost control in case i wanna lower a rise my boost or if any thing o have a better responce on the waste gate opening?

91ScDrIvEr said:
Can i put a better waste gate on to create a boost control in case i wanna lower a rise my boost or if any thing o have a better responce on the waste gate opening?

The SC does not have a waste gate nor can u put one on it, at least i dont think you can, im pretty sure waste gates are only on turbos.

Derek

You are correct Derek. Wastegate actuators are only on turbos and can be found on cars like the Grand National.
Turbos and superchargers are completely different animals with completely different operating platforms and principles.

yes it does work like a wastegate... and what i have noticed it sounds better than a turbo wastegate... anyone know what i am talking about... well when u smash on it... right between it shifts... u know when ur shifting through neutral i get a nice... whine... unlike any other... my friends say it makes the car sound unique...

when you smash on it... the valve will close under boost routing all the incoming air through the supercharger... and when you ease up on the peddle it opens and routes all the air through the supercharger and the lil gate....

yes the blowoff valve is just to control boost on those cars... because if u think about it... without it they can create so much boost it would send there manifolds into the sky... thats why they need that control the boost.... unlike ours.. we control boost via the pulley.... ohh yeah!

Yeah, the bypass is a little more like a blowoff valve than a wastegate, because a wastegate is before the turbo and controls how much power is applied to spin the turbo. The speed of the supercharger, on the other hand, is linked directly to engine speed. I suppose you could install an electric clutch like Mad Max had on his Weiand-type blower. :)

"Switch...WHIRRRRR!" :cool:

Mad Max was a movie... you can't actually stick a clutch on the front of a 6-71 blower and have it hold together.

The entire issue is that the air entering the engine is metered by the MAF air sensor before it passes through the throttle. If you were to bleed off any of that air you would screw up the computer creating an overly rich condition.

The bypass valve is used to recycle air back through the supercharger so that it's idling when it's not used, thus nearly eliminating any load on the crankshaft when not producing boost. A feature that Eaton added to their superchargers to make them more fuel efficient on production cars.

The only way to control boost on our cars is through the size of the various pullies, or calculated application of belt slip. ;)

with that said, there are now becoming available reliable* blow through MAF sensors. Sensors that will measure air mass after the boost device (turbo, supercharger). Something that hasn't been reliable before.

Couldn't you theoretically use a blow-off valve / boost controller, piped back into the intake? That's how a lot of turbo cars run. Apparently, that avoids most of the problems associated with blow-offs that vent to atmosphere, because the air only gets metered once.

Not that I think you need one, just thinking that it could be used instead of the stock bypass valve.

Also, I believe that the supercharged Toyota MR2's from the '80s and some of the supercharged Mercedes use clutches. Obviously not a Weiand, but hey, maybe it's possible.

Clutch Supercharger

The mustang super stalion concept had a clutch drive supercharger.

You could block off the factory one and add an external one but it would have to vent back into the engine after the maf. You should add about a pound of boost beings as the factory one leaks atleast that and you could turn it down by bypassing air but you could not increase it without spinning the supercharger faster.

ps if you do, vent it right after the maf and you will get that sweat noise. :p

Mad Max's Ford Falcon Police Interceptor -
On the movie car, this was all faked. The supercharger was empty and the carburettor sat inside. A small water pump was attached to the front of the supercharger to hold the drive wheel, this also moved the supercharger belt forward to clear the standard 351 water pump assembly, and the distributor has a 90 degree elbow to allow it to clear the supercharger. The supercharger belt is driven by an electric motor which is hidden by a yellow bucket in the garage scene in MM1.

Yes, the MR2 was one of the first to use a electromagnetic clutch on their supercharger. Newer clutches using the magnaquench type magnets allow sufficient holding power for the devices now used on the Mercedes units. You still couldn't do it on the 6-71 type blowers.

I'm not saying you couldn't do it, but there are some meaningful engineering issues you would need to overcome if you wanted to bleed off air charge in an effort to control boost pressure. Keeping in mind that turning the blower so it produces excess horsepower also creates excess drag on the crankshaft, robbing power.

Back