PDA

View Full Version : B&M Ripper Shifter

Paulio91184
10-10-2005, 01:31 AM
Hi Guys, can anybody tell me if the B&M Ripper Shifter is worth it, does it really work better than stock??

Thanks, Paul

Flip
10-10-2005, 08:16 AM
I like mine about 1000% over the stock shifter. :D :D Takes some getting use to, but then my stock shifter was very worn out. The B&M is very tight, in my opinion it's well worth the money.

Mike8675309
10-10-2005, 07:40 PM
A "it depends" question if I've ever heard it. Search on ripper shifter and You'll see some historical feedback on it. Most people have said they like it, of course most people have been using a shot stock shifter before the swap too. So that impacts the "worth it" factor a bit.

68COUGAR
10-10-2005, 09:05 PM
I special orderd my '89 5-spd XR-7, so I know what it felt like when it was new. I now have a ripper. When I bought the car, I thought the shifter had the shortest throw I'd ever driven. It also had wide gates, so it was diffuclut to miss shifts. When the Ripper came out, I bought one (early model). My OEM shifter wasn't worn out or sloppy, as the car only had about 60k on it. I really like the Ripper because it does have a noticeably shorter throw, especially with a Hurst T-handle on the OEM lever. The Ripper has much narrow gates, so it's easier to get hung up in neurtal when speed shifting (not recommended). My early ripper came with 2 different bias springs. I assume that they still do, but I'm not sure. You can use Neither, Either, or Both bias springs. I experimented with all 4 combinations. I found that I liked using both bias springs the best. That makes the shifter feel stiffer, but it also helps move the lever through the gates better & faster. I value Performance over Grandpa Driveability. Only you can say what is more important to you.

68COUGAR

mannysc
10-10-2005, 09:47 PM
I had a ripper and took it out I like the stock shifter better but with my long arms a long throw is not a problem . and the extra millionth of a second it takes to shift is not am big issue, as I shift very fast with the stocker

some shifts at 6,500 rpms throttle smashed to floor even thru the shift and it shifts like its got power assist with the short throw I missed more gears than I did in 20 yrs so out it came.

xThunderbirdSCx
10-10-2005, 09:52 PM
just got one installed. Best mod ive done besides exhaust yet

mazdaman6565
10-11-2005, 04:08 PM
I just rebuilt the stock one and it feels great. I work on mazdas and I just got 2 upper shifter bushings from a rx7 1987-1992 and modified them a little and it feels great. cheap and worth it. If you want the part numbers anyone email me. [email protected]