Lifter Warning

Paulio91184

hi guys, i just got finished putting a new cam and lifters in my 90 SC, The needle bearing in the roller on my #2 cylinder exhaust valve broke, went flat and took my cam with it :mad: So in case you didn't know I just wanted to let everyone know that the lifters have to go in the bores with the indent (or hole) or whatever it is on the side of the lifter MUST be facing up. my friend did the HG's on his 91 SC and put 4 lifters in wrong, and we were in there this weekend taking out, you guessed it 4 bad lifters, hope this keeps somebody running.

Paul

I just tore down my 94 SC engine recently and found a couple of the lifters with the holes facing down .. there is no damage and apparently it has been running like that for a long time ( 165k miles ). When I took the pistons out, I also noticed that the #4 and #6 pistons were swapped, since they have numbers on the rods and caps, and were in different bores. I dont think that makes a difference as they still had the original 94 stamped bearings, maybe somebody at the factory was half asleep when they put my engine together but it did last a long time before this rebuild. :cool:
- Dan

Wrong Way Lifters

Paulio91184 said:
i just got finished putting a new cam and lifters in my 90 SC, The needle bearing in the roller on my #2 cylinder exhaust valve broke, went flat and took my cam with it. Paul
Does that mean that you had a lifter in backwards too?

Paulio91184 said:
I just wanted to let everyone know that the lifters have to go in the bores with the indent (or hole) on the side of the lifter MUST be facing up. Paul
You got any pics of that?

68COUGAR

no, it has nothing to do with the rollers, all i know from what i was told, that hole has to face the atmosphere to work right, i just figured i'd warn everyone cuz my friend had 4 collapsed lifters and these were the four that were in wrong, i was told by more than one mechanic that it must face up, but some say it doesn't matter, i just find it strange that lifters installed that way went bad, u want pic's of my broken lifter or the hole?

Last edited:
nothing to do with it, I broke a lifter roller also, ruined a cam(got the lobe fixed), I think they just get a beating from the boost, snapping shut etc.

Back