Magnum Powers SC Inlet installation

XxSlowpokexX

Well I just installed the Magnum powers SC plenum as well as a larger intercooler...Before the mods I used to get a slight bucking up top around 5000 rpm's..almost like shutting car on and off real fast..Perhaps as though there was a lack of fuel...With the addition on the magnum powers inlet plenum and the bigger intercooler its occuring at a lower rpm..Around 4,o00 and a lot more violently....Occasionally It doesnt happen at all and it will run real great.....Any idea guys?....One other thing..On the 94 model there is a bracket with something on it located behid the inlet plenum and bolted to it..The new intake didnt have the bolt hole for the bracket..This isnt the knock sensor is it?...Thanks again..Damon

Did you experience an increase in boost with the inlet upgrade? When I installed my Magnum Powers Inlet and 75mm TB, I picked up 3 lbs of boost. I also started hitting the knock sensor with my new found boost...time to upgrade my injectors

KNoCK SENSOR

WHEERE The HELL IS The KNOCK SENSOR!!!..Really...That could be my problem all along..WIth my mods I pin the boost gauge at 15...Perhaps I am getting more boost thus the bigger problem with car shutting down at higher RPM's

If you're pegging the guage...

You are probably leaning out really high. What fuel system are you running?

The knock sensor is scewed into the block. It's designed to pull timing in the event of knocking. But it's designed to pull timing before the average Damon can notice it. If knocking was a problem then the knock sensor would be working and pulling the most amount of timing out of the engine to begin with.

With these extra mods, you should really invest in a couple of dyno pulls and a shop that has a either a wideband O2 sensor or a exhaust gas temperature sensor.Based upon the dyno graph and the temp or O2 content in your exhaust they will recommend how much fuel is needed to get things back to normal.

The magnum powers inlet is really important because it isn't more restrictive, it allows more flow of air into the engine easier, without any attention to fuel you are starting to detonate....

the knock sensor is on the passenger side of the motor and is under the exhaust manifold pointing down. has a heat sheild around it and a wiring connector. If you remove it, I have heard that coolant will come out. You may want to drain your radiator first or be carefull when replacing it and only remove the senor portion of it and not the big nut part of it that it is screwed into.

Well Occasionally I can hear detonation under load at high RPM..and this is usually when the car seems to be running best..Which is why I was thinking the knock sensor might be a culprit here...From my experience with turbo cars they usually start acting up with the more mods you do..Basically they are set at a certain frequency....When that frequency is picked up it draws timing...Maybe something is making that happen..Also Ive had roots blow v8 cars ss well as turbos and centrificals......My 94 comes with 36 lb injectors...DO you really think I need more?...Ive made well into the 400hp range with a v8 and 4psi on a vortech with onbly 30lb's...I havnt even touched the heads or the cam yet so Im hesitent to upgrade injectors so soon...I;m always up to suggestions however:O)..Thanks Guys..Damon

The knock sensor simply detects knock which tells the ECC to retard timing, cutting your possible power.

If you have detonation, you need to clear that up.

That bracket I would think is for the EGR valve that bolts to the back of some cars inlet. Not all of them have it.

Weird

That bracket wasnt for EGR...But funny thing My car ran excellant this morning....No bucking , no detonating..Just ran real strong and smooth...Further leads me to believe it's something as simple as a sensor out of range..Occasionally..Weird I tell ya..Well Im still open for idea guys and thanks:O)

Welll

HMm, You ARE running a 10% pulley right? That's you problem there. Remember on a 94' the "10%" pulley is more like a 14% pulley.

You may not need bigger injectors just yet, but you may need some tuning attention. LIke a AFPR or a EEC tuner.....

I would also check to see when the last time you have replaced your fuel filter has been? Sometimes an intermittant lean out condition can be caused by this. Try to make sure that the fuel pump isn't burning out either by not getting complete voltage.

Just some suggestions.

Back