View Full Version : Problem with brakes

10-10-2005, 10:12 PM
When I first got the car, about a week after, driving in some particularly hot weather, the Antilock and (!)Brake lights came on. It went away, and I havent worried about it since. Well, 2 days ago, it came on, and I didnt worry about it. Then, when I was going to stop, the pedal suddenly got REALLY hard, and the brakes almost completely died. Like I mean standing on it and not even slowing. I pulled into a gas station and let it sit, and it worked again. Now the light is on almost all the time. When I turn the car off, I can hear a buzzing sound near the master cylinder (abs pump?). Am I going to need a new accumulator or something?

10-10-2005, 10:32 PM
you might need a new accumulator, but it sounds to me like you might just need a brake relay as well. i believe its a brown color and on the right side of the engine by the firewall. or is that the abs? anyways, the pedal getting really hard and then working again is a sign of that relay not working right. relay isnt too bad. the accumulator is around 100 bucks from prior reman. please dont get a used one. when working on a system that helps you stop a 4000 pound car, well, you can see where im going. lol.

10-15-2005, 08:45 PM
Hi there
I had the same problem. The abs light would come on, and then the brake light, or one with out the other. Brick for a break peddle. Abs wasnít throwing any codes. So all the brains in the repair shops around me wanted to do the abs unit. After doing lots of reading here. I replaced the relay, and it works just fine. Nappa $25.00 It did take a few miles for the brakes to work right, but the lights went right out.
Funny didnít throw the box away part number AR240SB relay

10-15-2005, 09:09 PM
not to hijack thread but could this be my problem too. under normal stopping all is well, if i have to slam on em 75% of the time it stops very very fast with the ABS working how it should and maybe 20% of the time my tires will lock up pedal falls down some and both brake lights go on. as soon as i get off the pedal it goes back to normal