Problem with brakes

JimmyDean

When I first got the car, about a week after, driving in some particularly hot weather, the Antilock and (!)Brake lights came on. It went away, and I havent worried about it since. Well, 2 days ago, it came on, and I didnt worry about it. Then, when I was going to stop, the pedal suddenly got REALLY hard, and the brakes almost completely died. Like I mean standing on it and not even slowing. I pulled into a gas station and let it sit, and it worked again. Now the light is on almost all the time. When I turn the car off, I can hear a buzzing sound near the master cylinder (abs pump?). Am I going to need a new accumulator or something?

you might need a new accumulator, but it sounds to me like you might just need a brake relay as well. i believe its a brown color and on the right side of the engine by the firewall. or is that the abs? anyways, the pedal getting really hard and then working again is a sign of that relay not working right. relay isnt too bad. the accumulator is around 100 bucks from prior reman. please dont get a used one. when working on a system that helps you stop a 4000 pound car, well, you can see where im going. lol.

Moses

Hi there
I had the same problem. The abs light would come on, and then the brake light, or one with out the other. Brick for a break peddle. Abs wasn’t throwing any codes. So all the brains in the repair shops around me wanted to do the abs unit. After doing lots of reading here. I replaced the relay, and it works just fine. Nappa $25.00 It did take a few miles for the brakes to work right, but the lights went right out.
Funny didn’t throw the box away part number AR240SB relay

not to hijack thread but could this be my problem too. under normal stopping all is well, if i have to slam on em 75% of the time it stops very very fast with the ABS working how it should and maybe 20% of the time my tires will lock up pedal falls down some and both brake lights go on. as soon as i get off the pedal it goes back to normal

Back