4.6 in a 5-speed SC

Ty Whutaker

I asked a tranny question in a different thread, but it may have been buried too low and fell off the radar, so am gonna ask again.

i am planning a 4.6 swap into my 89 5-speed SC due to engine being cooked. any experience along the lines regarding the likelihood of the 89 5-speed adapting to the 1997 t-bird 4.6 v8?

thanks for any comment

As I said in your other thread, the stock M5R2 will not bolt up to a 4.6L. The 3.8/5.0L bellhousing bolt pattern is different than the 4.6/5.4L bolt pattern. The only exception is the 92 4.6L from the Crown Vic, which had the 3.8/5.0L bolt pattern.

-Rod

things to ponder...

First, how many mustangs run around with m5r2's in them? I've never heard of any. Second, the m5r2 doesn't use a bolt-on style bellhousing. It is cast with the rest of the tranny case... The only thing you are going to bolt an m5r2 up to is a 5.0 or 3.8. What's wrong with pushrod motors? Cams too cheap? Too many options for heads?

On a side note I've been pondering a v8 swap also... I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a forged 331 with afr heads, and to keep the SC an SC, some boost.

thanks

i wanted the 5.0, but was having trouble finding one, the 4.6 is way more common. thanks fopr the input. i wonder if there is an adapter.......

More common??? agghhh 4.6 suck get a 5.0 they are so much better in the long run and so much more available for them plus they are so much cheaper! My buddy's 2000 mustang gt ate the 4.6 at 50k miles! and he was not very hard on it! plus a mild 5.0 would smoke him anyday...

Ty Whutaker said:
i wanted the 5.0, but was having trouble finding one, the 4.6 is way more common. thanks fopr the input. i wonder if there is an adapter.......

Jacob_Royer said:
More common??? agghhh 4.6 suck . . . get a 5.0 they are so much better in the long run and so much more available for them plus they are so much cheaper! My buddy's 2000 mustang gt ate the 4.6 at 50k miles! and he was not very hard on it! plus a mild 5.0 would smoke him anyday...
:eek: ~"I forget .... WHY do all the cop cars have CrownVics with a 4.6 ??? I thought I read that a 4.6 can sit idling at a donut shop for HOURS, not overheat, and then when STOMPED, can outrun a 5.0 easily in a high-speed chase!!"

.................Tricks are for Kids

ThunderTurkey said:
:eek: ~"I forget .... WHY do all the cop cars have CrownVics with a 4.6 ???
Because that's the only engine offered in them!

68COUGAR

why 4.6?

Are cams too expensive for a 5.0? It is much easier to build a 5.0 than a 4.6. After all the 4.6 doesn't even have aftermarket heads available for them...I know fox lake yadda yadda... but wouldn't you rather have the extra torque of the additional displacement to get your conservatively weighed 3800 pound sc moving.
Or is it that you like changing plugs from the fender wells? As far as I am concerned the only 4.6 that would ever grace my engine bay would be a DOHC m112 monster... and it would still be an sc, kinda. Oh yeah... and the t-56 thing is cool too.

No way hoss...I like the 4.6. They benefit GREATLY from an overbore. It helps the heads flow a lot better. The bad part is, the NPI heads have the potential on the intake and the PI heads have the potential on the exhaust. With a STOCK engine and an AED. Steve W. made like 348 HP and 390 Ft lbs. with his 4.6 combo. You can wrap em till the cows come home and they are not harder to build. Just cheeper for the moment.

Chris

The only reason cop cars have 4.6's is the 5.0's arent available anymore besides i thought the police crown vics have 5.4's??? the early 4.6's are crap slow i dont even see how one could move a crown vic let alone chase down anything considering i've watched a 96 GT with mac intake offroad h pipe and flowmaster's get beat in a drag race by a bone stock 4.0 jeep with 31" tires on it at that!

Here is the deal

A modular will be more expensive to build. Believe me I know

A 5.0 cheap

The modular motor in PI form has more power then a 5.0 HO

The modular motor in non PI form has less then a 5.0 HO

If you plan on keeping the motors stock get a 4.6 PI motor

If you plan on working the motors with bolt ons..Get a 4.6 PI motor

If you plan on doing a whole engine performance rebuild get a 5.0 HO(Cheaper)

If you plan on supercharging get a 5.0 HO(Very expensive to build a forced Induction 4.6)

ANy questiosn ask....There is a guy on TCCOA that has a 4.6 and a t45 from a stang..Look there

The 4.6 might be rated at higher HP than a 5.0 ho but i do not see how they could possibly have better tourque.. Seemed to me that you have to rev a 4.6 alot higher to get the power out of it than a 5.0... .And speaking of the 4.6 what the hell was ford thinking when they put them in extended cab 4x4 f150's??? I drove a couple of those while truck shopping what the hell??? My 300 6 f150 has more power! i drove one that had a CAI flowmaster exhaust a chip and some other crap done to it and it wouldnt even hardly pull a hill! To much truck and not enough engine!

rpm to the moon...why?

Maybe the reason I am so against the 4.6 is because all I ever hear about from my buddy with a sho and an rx7 is RPM... neither of his cars has beat the SC yet... In fact the rx7 has never had a motor in it...But, "Torque is for amatures and people on a budget." (Quoted from Mr. SHO/ Wankle Boy) Well he nailed the budget part on the head, and both of my cars run. What ever happened to the cars that made ungodly amounts of torque? Remember the 455's that Pontiac had? That is what a good street motor should be like. Anyways, to go away from the bread and butter of what the SC motor was originally meant to do would be down right hypocritical. Is it not fun to have too much power down low? Who cares if you make XXX power at 8 grand...a true SC would be chirping second and leaving the rev to the frikkin moon motor.
In reply to the bone stock 4.0 jeep with 31's comment... My 02 with a 5 speed and 31's is a lot of fun to get ricer kids girlfriends to laugh at them.

Jacob_Royer said:
The 4.6 might be rated at higher HP than a 5.0 ho but i do not see how they could possibly have better tourque.. Seemed to me that you have to rev a 4.6 alot higher to get the power out of it than a 5.0... .And speaking of the 4.6 what the hell was ford thinking when they put them in extended cab 4x4 f150's??? I drove a couple of those while truck shopping what the hell??? My 300 6 f150 has more power! i drove one that had a CAI flowmaster exhaust a chip and some other crap done to it and it wouldnt even hardly pull a hill! To much truck and not enough engine!

Myabe you havnt heard of Steve Dugan aka 1Mtncat? He is the fastest STOCK MN12 with a 4.6 PI motor with bolt ons. I know because my 89 SC is sitting as his house and have ran his car at the track several times.

OH....yeah. 5.0 would be cheaper to build than a 4.6. BUT if you MUST build a 4.6, go with a PI.

Just my 2 cents

He means stock internals....Show up to the next shootout and say that and people will laugh at you...espically Connie when she kicks the crap out of the class again.

Chris

Back