SC is Parked...and Ready for some mods

SK_BlownThunder

I had to park my 1990 SC 5-speed for the winter already due to a massive water pump seal leak. It leaked coolant like crazy and I figured she's time to park in the shop. Over the winter I guess I'll be doing the pump first, figuring out the timing issues, then pulling the tranny out for rebuild. The synchros went on me last September and I figured I'll redo the entire drivetrain. My dad and I did the engine last fall so that should still be okay after only 25 000 kms. I plan to do gears if I get a chance. (What is the stock final drive on the 1990 5-speed SC?) I was going to go with a B&M Ripper but if the stock shifter is getting rebuilt anyway, I may stick with that.

The exhaust will need an assesment as it is still the stock setup. I plan for a Flowmaster II or Bill's system from Super Coupe Performance. I basically want a good performance sounding car but still want some mileage on the highway. What is recomended? The cats are rattling like hell as it is now and they are definitely coming out sooner or later.

For now, it is the tranny and timing. After that, exhaust hopefully, then possibly overdrive pulley and bigger intake.

It depends if you wanna get into the motor or not. If you do wanna do some internal work I would port the heads and put a cam and some roller rockers on. Look for a blower off of a 94/95 SC and all the basic mods such as intake and all that little BS.

Flowmaster exhaust sounds like poo poo so you'll be okay with the SCP exhaust (exhaust should always be the very FIRST mod on every single SC). Stock gears are 2.73's in a 5spd. 3.27 or 3.31's are the highest you should go if you're looking for good/decent gas mileage. You can go to 3.55, but that would only last you a 1/4 mile.

For your exhaust I have the set from SCP and they flow well and sound ok. If you want better sound get some high flow cats, new downpipes and Borla mufflers. I've heard so many great things about how Borlas sound I'll probably switch to them.

Big Cat Davo said:
Go cutsom with the exhaust . . . you can do it for around 1000 bucks.

Dave
DId you have custom Inconel headers with tapered merge collectors and titanium tubing?

Jeeeeez. I did mine for about $450. Counting downtubes, mufflers, Y collectors and tubing.

It cost me 400 for mufflers a pair of Dynomax Super Turbos and 600 for the pipe and labor for the 2.5/3/2.5 exhaust system, including new downtubes.

All prices in Canadian dollars.

Dave

Thanks for the input. Everyday I look at the car on a hoist I also think custom exhaust is the way to go. I have never heard an SC with just straight tubes and no cats. People say they make a crappy noise and it is better to keep some kind of cats in, to me they are still resistance and it would be better off with them out and just put in the oxygen bung instead.
I guess we'll see where the budget is at after the fall semester is done.

Back