bad engine noises, help please

gspacerant

alright, starting last night, my car started making a couple bad noises.

First off, i have marbles in my intake, researched it, and that is due to the coupler in the supercharger.

Next, whenever my engine rpms get up a bit (around 2500-3000 rpm), i can hear something, best i can describe it is like a belt is rubbing against something. Obviously, first thing i did was look in my engine compartment, all the belts are new and appear to be in their correct tracks, and none of them look worn at all. Is this second sound related to the supercharger coupler at all? or perhaps a bearing somewhere?, maybe in the rear of the supercharger? Anyone have any clue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, hope to get this fixed and new exhaust on as soon as i can. Thanks.

hmm, upon further investigation (driving to work today), I think i thought of something else that sounds similar to a belt rubbing, air rushing out of somewhere.... And it is based on how much vacuum/boost i am running with, so i think it looks like i have a boost leak to deal with after i rebuild my supercharger, i can work with that, glad it isn't anything engine-related...

also i noticed less power, and a bit less boost (my factory gauge is horribly innacurate though, so i dont go by its numbers, went from one side of 10 to the other side though)

gspacerant said:
hmm, upon further investigation (driving to work today), I think i thought of something else that sounds similar to a belt rubbing, air rushing out of somewhere.... And it is based on how much vacuum/boost i am running with, so i think it looks like i have a boost leak to deal with after i rebuild my supercharger, i can work with that, glad it isn't anything engine-related...

also i noticed less power, and a bit less boost (my factory gauge is horribly innacurate though, so i dont go by its numbers, went from one side of 10 to the other side though)

I have same noise coming from my engine. After i did the belts. Sort of odd. Boost lvls at 10-11psi on WOT around 4k RPMS .

hmm, if you have the stock SC pulley, then 10-11 psi at 4k rpm doesn't sound bad, especially since these gauges are known to suck... (month or so ago i tested, my gauge said i was peaking at about 11-12 psi, but with an aftermarket gauge, i was making 14 psi).

The sound sounds like it is coming from approximately beneath my defroster duct, which would seem to be a boost leak around the back of the supercharger or something.

Ordered a rebuild kit for the supercharger, and should be able to get around to making that happen next weekend. After that I'll see if i still have the boost leak and ill post results/if i can locate and fix it.

that is possible i suppose, i checked the tensioner pulleys for the supercharger belt and the jackshaft belt, both of those spin freely and quietly, so i don't think it is either of those, but i didnt mess with the main serpentine belt. Worth a look, ill try to check into that this afternoon.

Back