PDA

View Full Version : Help newbie TRYING to do his won clutch and slave

95scfan
10-14-2005, 12:17 AM
Hey I was wondering how hard it would be to do the clutch, slave, pressure plate and t/o bearing in my 95 sc. The kit from dial a clutch comes with all that I need I think but I think that I might have to buy the slave seperatly but I don't know I have to call and ask them if it comes with it but it says that the clutch includes the slave cylinder so my GUESS would be that it does but does anyone have any ideas on how to help me out and things that I should know to do the job correctly, I have read some posts on how to do it but wanted and update to all of those thoughts

thanks alot!!!!!

mannysc
10-14-2005, 02:19 AM
yeah dont have to drop tank just remove the u joint at tranny and make sure to get clutch hose removal tool . before you start droping trans its always such a pain to find after yoiu started droping it seems everyone is out of stock.

use grease and a socket extension to remove pilot bearing,

and remember to install spring when installing the throwout bearing dont wait to find it in your trunk after trans is in like some idiot did "me "

and its easy to replace trans lube when its out of car now is also the time to do a check on seals of trans oh yeah beer is foir after the job is done not during the job :D

95scfan
10-14-2005, 03:02 AM
so on like a 5 scale 5 being the hard jobs this would be in the low range? and should I add a modifier for a 95 its a little hard to shift well alot hard to shift might just be the slave going out.
thanks

SCme
10-14-2005, 08:28 AM
For me it about a 2-2.5. First time it will seem tough.

Some helpful hints, as Manny stated, don't drop the tank, just remove the driveshaft from the pumpkin and then drop the pumpkin down and slide the shaft over it. Its a little tight, but can be done.

Also this is a 2 person job, once you start to remove the tranny, unless you are luck and have a transmission jack.

Last bit of my advice, make sure to use some loc-tite on the bolts that holds the driveshaft to the pumpkin. Sucks if they start to back out.

mannysc
10-14-2005, 09:54 AM
For me it about a 2-2.5. First time it will seem tough.

Some helpful hints, as Manny stated, don't drop the tank, just remove the driveshaft from the pumpkin and then drop the pumpkin down and slide the shaft over it. Its a little tight, but can be done.

Also this is a 2 person job, once you start to remove the tranny, unless you are luck and have a transmission jack.

Last bit of my advice, make sure to use some loc-tite on the bolts that holds the driveshaft to the pumpkin. Sucks if they start to back out.
yes Ive had to tighten them on the side of the road in the rain by all means use locktite or equvilent. good advise I forgot that most needed part even after becoming a muddy mess go figure.

snakesm13
10-14-2005, 12:56 PM
i doubt this will help, well not yet at least, but here are some pictures of my tranny replacement i did over the summer, probly the only one that will help you, is the last one this was my second time to do it but i dropped the gas tank and pulled the driveshaft out the back, soon im going to try to get a full write up done on how i did it just for future reference, but as you can see there wasn't much room for me to work under there

http://snakesm13.50megs.com/photo.html

also i dont know how it is on stock SC, but the exhuast was custom from the guy before me and everything was welded together except for were the manifolds come together, so i had to undo the bolts at the flanges(?) and wiggle the tranny out.

the loctite is the best advice, and dont forget to drain the tranny fluid b4 taking it out, or your driveway will be stained red :rolleyes:
edit: forgot, i think the first time you do it i would rate it more 3.5-4 because it just sorta overwelms you, but anytime after that its moreso a 2.

latas
shane

Joisey Jim
10-14-2005, 02:16 PM
I don't know what clutches 'dial a clutch' supply but you need atleast an OEM clutch like the LUKE and if you get the 'gold' kit it comes with everything except the slave cylinder (which are readily available at local parts stores like Autozone - don't overpay at Ford for one). One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is to get the flywheel cut or buy a replacement flywheel if you want to get your car back on the road the same day. Places like Pepboys will cut your flywheel but rarely will they do it while you wait.

SCme
10-14-2005, 03:23 PM
dial-a-clutch sells the OEM LUK. In fact per their web page, that's the only clutch the will sell, as all others are just recondidtioned LUK brand stuff. I know on an 89 SC that I parted out with a Centerforce clutch kit it in, the pressure plate was stamped with LUK.

95scfan
10-15-2005, 12:56 AM
I called the guy today at dial a clutch.com and he told me to get the gold kit it comes with the slave and all the kits come with it(slave) he told me that the gold kit is the best for my app he said its not a racing clutch but a performance clutch which I like that word performance. He also said its like a $60 difference but if you order on the net right now the shipping is free if you want more info on the pm me or post here but as far as the clutch goes I heard that you just need a flat head screw driver to get the hydraulic line off? is that bad advice?

thanks for all of your help I will be on this project later in the week

oh yeah I almost forgot I am going to get the whole kit the clutch and the pressure plate the whole nine yards but the flywheel I don't know about I think its still good the slave just went out, should I risk it?

Dahoopd
10-15-2005, 04:09 AM
I ordered the same clutch kit from dial-a-clutch. It came with everthing.

The only two troubles I had were the hydraulic clutch line. Dont cut it and splice it back together. It doesnt work. They told me that on here after I did it and it didnt work. The second was lowering the tranny out. I didnt have a tranny jack. Its a beast when your laying on your back in a driveway with no lift.

DONT JACK THE CAR UP HALF_ASSED IN THE FRONT. or you will be replacing the oil pan right after the clutch. Good luck.

95scfan
10-15-2005, 05:44 AM
yeah I thought of that and it comming down on my skinny ace. I will have the boss bring me a floor jack and 4 jack stands to support the beast it will take all I have to get the thing out of the car. But the question remains do I re-use the flywheel? Another question that I had is what kind of fluid should I use to re-fill the trans it shifts kinda hard and I don't think its the shifter itself. It could be a worn syncro or something like that. I hope not thats all I need right now is to have to rebuild the trans. I was hoping that I could find a reliable sc but I have found out that they don't make those its always something.

thanks for all your help

SCme
10-15-2005, 07:53 AM
You can use a small flat head to take the line off, takes a little more time and be extra carful to not distroy it as those lines are a used part only, and are getting less and less by the day it seems.

You should pull your flywheel out and take it to a tranny/machine/engine shop in your area and have it spec'd at least and turned if needed. It could be a little warped and will affect the new clutch.

95scfan
10-15-2005, 05:38 PM
yeah I will have to do that but I am in a hurry to put the thing back together and drive it around I need it for delivery of the pizzas

I will try that this weekend thanks alot

any more tips to help it out???????

CaifanSC
10-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Agreed.....kits from dial-a-clutch rock. Did that a few months ago.

My only addition: do your self a favor and just rent the pilot bearing removal tool and a slide hammer if you dont have one already. I rented the pilot bearing remover from autozone (and ofcourse I kept it b/c it was a brand new one). I tried the "grease" method and just made a mess...with the removal tool.....I think it took two slides of a 13lb hammer :D and out it came! Oh, and like mentioned before secure the car properly.

95scfan
10-16-2005, 12:51 AM
yeah I am having the boss bring me some jack stands to put it on can I lift it up from the arm that holds the tire on for a few seconds and put the stand on the stock jack point?
and as for the tool I am just going to buy one from the dial a clutch its only $10 so its not that bad

thanks alot

anyone think that this is too much for a newbie and a farmer type who knows alot about clutches but not SC's??????

Mike8675309
10-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Here's a thread where I posted pictures of the hydraulic fitting for the slave cylinder. May make it easier to understand how it comes apart and what you need to push on.

95scfan
10-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Where was link at it didn't show up on my ~~~~zle thanks again...

Mike8675309
10-17-2005, 09:18 PM
woops.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62258&highlight=clutch