Transmission Swap

1990_Tbird_SC

I know im not gonna like the answer to this but.....

My SC is currently an Auto :( Has anybody ever put a 5-speed in an auto? If so about how much would a transmission cost me and how many hours for 2 guys to do the work..

Thanks

I've considered doing it.

You can usually get the Tranny for about $250-$300 then you need to have it installed.

You'll need to cut the hole out in the floor and get a cluch pedal and since your SC has the AOD, it's a bigger tranny than the 5 speed (I think) so you might need custom mounts.

Inside, you'll need to get the centre console from a manual SC as it's different.

The main reason I decided not to do the swap was becuase my 5 speed counterparts were running slower 1/4 times than I was with the same mods.

Just get a shift kit in your SC and it'll be much better.

Steve

tell me where pleeeeeze!

where can I get a good 5 spd tranny for $250 $350
I didnt think that was possible

you should talk to TBK, and a few others... here's a link for TBK's article...

AOD to 5-speed

and i'm going the same kinda swap, but on a 5.0l car... should be done by the end of the summer..

I did mine, but the tranny lasted a whopping 2 months, so now I"m also hunting a different one, I've found a few for 250, I've also found some for a lot more, I got a quote for around 1200 for a reman. with 1yr warranty, and am seriously thinking about going that way.

my car has 175000 miles on it. 1. Where do i go to get a trans-go shift kit and what does it do and how hard is it to install.

Or is it even worth it, The car is in good shape runs smoothly for how many miles it has on it

The swap is actually pretty easy....imo it's harder to change brakes on the car than it is to do the tranny swap.

1) It's hard to get a tranny for $250 to $350. The ones that come at this price are usually beat up pretty bad and will require a rebuild. A GOOD tranny will run upwards of $1000.

2)You do not have to cut a hole in the floorboard for the shifter. You simple swap out the lower shift boot with the Autoshifter.

3) My walk-through goes over pretty much everything you'll run into. It describes some problems you may encounter. Read it first before seriously considering doing it and see if you have the desire for the work.

4) Two guys working SOLID at it can get this done in a weekend. This is of course assuming you already have all tools, equipment, fluids, parts, and sweat to get it done.

5) The AOD is larger (gurth and length) than the 5-speed...it also weighs more. You will need a different rear-crossmember, which is discussed in the walk-through.

6) Your always gonna get different answers about which is quicker. I swapped to a 5-speed because I find it more fun. I enjoy the thrill of being able to go through a corner, holding it in 3rd gear, and punching it when I come out. With an auto, you can still do similar, but it just doesn't feel the same. Also, most performance drag cars (I'm talk'n full blown alcohol type here) all use a "manual" type tranny.

I can drop my tranny in about 50 minutes now. If you've never done it, I would give about 3 to 4 hours to drop it the first time. (Just to give you an idea).

Back