New Damper car runs but rough HELP

FixORepairDaily

91 SC ,damper bolt broke off in crankshaft. Didn't know bolt was broken and damper eventually broke. Car cut off and had it towed. Didn't have TDC marked before I took it all apart and I went ahead and pulled the timing chain cover off to see if timing belt needed replacing but it didn't. Replaced the timing chain cover gasket. Replaced the damper, didn't have camshaft sensor tool at time (waited about 10 days for it to come and got impatient) . Set the damper where the pointer on timing chain cover was centered with notch in damper. Had base marked when I pulled the cam shaft sensor. Went by diagram in Hayne's manual to set cam sensor. Car cranks but tries to cut off when you come to a stop. Longer it runs the worse it gets. It also is running a little warm. Power loss and acts like its missing during acceleration. I am in the process of resetting the cam sensor could I be 180 degrees off or is it because I didn't use the tool or do I need to go all the way back to the timing chain cover? Please Help. Thanks. :confused: :(

Last edited:
You

You need the cam sensor alignment tool to do the job correctly. If not, the car will be mis-timed and have many issues, including th ones that you are having.

Get to top dead center and properly align the cam sensor.

Don

Thanks for your reply. Will do. I have pulled the damper off and noticed that the veins on the backside have a few shiny spots on them. Do you think I may need to replace the crankshaft sensor and how would I check? I thank you for your knowledge

Back