Nitrous safety idea....

sizemoremk

Hey guys, I'm wondering about an idea I had for a nitrous solenoid failure countermeasure...

First off, out of curiosity, how bad is the rich condition in say a 75-100HP shot of N20, IF the N2O solenoid didn't open?

I assume a rich condition, where backfire may occur and blow up an IC, is less detrimental than if the NO solenoid sticks open, destroying an engine...

Or is this a false pretense???

I am curious if a brake line lock can be used to automatically shutoff the N2O supply in the event that the solenoid sticks open?

I am not sure how it could be triggered, but I wonder if perhaps a fuel pressure safety switch can be used along with some flip flop or something to enegrize the line lock to close it off, in the event the solenoid sticks???

I don't have any ideas for the fuel side, but I think such a device would be a good safety improvement.

I had been thinking about dual solenoids, but that has other implications as well... So I began leaning towards just getting new solenoids, then I thought about this...

Any ideas???

Last edited:
sizemoremk said:
Hey guys, I'm wondering about an idea I had for a nitrous solenoid failure countermeasure...

First off, out of curiosity, how bad is the rich condition in say a 75-100HP shot of N20, IF the N2O solenoid didn't open?

I assume a rich condition, where backfire may occur and blow up an IC, is less detrimental than if the NO solenoid sticks open, destroying an engine...

Or is this a false pretense???

I am curious if a brake line lock can be used to automatically shutoff the N2O supply in the event that the solenoid sticks open?

I am not sure how it could be triggered, but I wonder if perhaps a fuel pressure safety switch can be used along with some flip flop or something to enegrize the line lock to close it off, in the event the solenoid sticks???

Any thoughts???

Going rich doesn't cause any problems or backfires, it just boggs the motor and blows some black smoke out the tailpipes.

Going lean is what does the damage...like if the fuel solenoid didn't open or the fuel pressure regulator hose blew off and didn't increase base pressure pound for bound with boost.

The easiest fix for the nitrous solenoid sticking open would be to run 2 of them in series..both have to open to turn on the nitrous, but only one has to close to stop it.

David

Ahhh, I read several things about the 4.6 bird guys at tccoa.com blowing intakes up and such, might they have been running bigger shots??? Or are we that much safer because the SC doesn't allow the fuel to puddle??

I know a few weeks ago I seen a promod blow the scoop and half his hood off with a nitrous backfire :eek:

At what level does the extra fuel becme a problem???

What if you were running a 500+ inch dual supercharged engine in a Lincoln Towncar with a 400HP shot :D Will my idea work, or be necessary whe I get that project done???

Last edited:
David Neibert said:
like if the fuel solenoid didn't open or the fuel pressure regulator hose blew off and didn't increase base pressure pound for bound with boost.

I assume this why you have the AN lines???

Back