PDA

View Full Version : Steering coupling?

S_Mazza
10-14-2005, 06:36 PM
Has anyone here replaced the steering coupling disk on their car? I mean the flat rubber disk that sits between two parts of the steering shaft, right next to the driver's side O2 sensor. Was it difficult? And did you notice a difference in the feel of the car? Thanks in advance.

minbe
10-14-2005, 08:05 PM
I have replaced it on other cars. They will pretty much last forever unless you get oil on them. If yours is starting to go, change it now. Once they get soft they don't last long and it could dump you somewhere.

blue94sc
10-14-2005, 11:20 PM
S_Mazza, you beat me to it.
I was just about to post the same question.
My steering coupling feels a little too rubbery and was wondering where I would get a replacement as well.
Does anyone know if this is a dealer part?
Peace!
Bill

ThunderDave
10-15-2005, 12:01 AM
It's called a rag joint bushing. I replaced the one on my 88GT, but not the SC. If it has extra play in the wheel and the bushing looks worn, I'd replace it before it goes.

90XR7Cougar5spd
10-15-2005, 12:30 AM
S_Mazza, you beat me to it.
I was just about to post the same question.
My steering coupling feels a little too rubbery and was wondering where I would get a replacement as well.
Does anyone know if this is a dealer part?
Peace!
Bill

Autozone has them in the help section, should be on the bottom shelf, thats where ours is and all the stores are basically set up in the same manner.

blue94sc
10-15-2005, 12:36 PM
It's called a rag joint bushing. I replaced the one on my 88GT, but not the SC. If it has extra play in the wheel and the bushing looks worn, I'd replace it before it goes.
Hey David.
Did you have to drop the rack in your GT to get to it?
Or can you fish it out under the car?
Lastly, do you have to drill out the rivets and replace them with bolts?
Thanx
Bill

ThunderDave
10-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Hey David.
Did you have to drop the rack in your GT to get to it?
Or can you fish it out under the car?
Lastly, do you have to drill out the rivets and replace them with bolts?
Thanx
Bill

No, I did it from under the car and what a pain it was. I cut the rivets out and did replace them with bolts. Mine was in really bad shape and there wasn't too much of the bushing left holding it together.

It's a tight fit under there and the exhaust will be the the way some too. It took a few hours to replace it, taking my time so I didn't get too frustrated. :D

S_Mazza
10-16-2005, 09:08 PM
So, how difficult is the job on an SC? What kind of tool does one need to cut the rivets in question?

ThunderDave
10-17-2005, 01:38 AM
There appears to be more room to work on it on the SC than the GT. Probably due to just regular exhaust manifolds instead of headers like the GT.

I think I popped the rivets out with a chisel and hammer. There might be any easier way if you have any power cutters you can get to it.

Joisey Jim
10-17-2005, 02:10 PM
If you can only get the rubber bushing (aftermarket) and not the whole coupling (such that you've got to cut it all apart); then you might aswell get one of those 'flaming river' universal steering couplers. There should be a thread on that here somewhere because people use them when they need more clearance for using Mustang headers.

johnnyk500
03-15-2006, 12:44 AM
I replaced mine on my 94 5 speed car,the guy who had the car before me had a bad power steering leak, and if you drive the car with no power steering all the stress is on the coupler.I removed the 2 bolts on the coupler and then the one on the rack, the shaft will pull out of the rack.johnnyk500