PDA

View Full Version : Are both half shafts created equal ??

Dahoopd
10-14-2005, 08:06 PM
I read that one side was larger, and that they can be interchanged. But I just went and bought 2 brand new half shafts and when I opened the box. One looked like an ethiopean. One is real fat and plump, kinda made my donut urge come alive. The other one didnt look as if it would make a kickstand. They both had the same part number on the box. They are the exact same size in length and every other aspect is the same other than the diameter in the center section of it and the opposite end of the CV is built much better. Did they foul up the boxing or what. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I would have added a shot of them both side by side but my batteries are dead in the camera. If anyone needs a pic to see. I can have it tomorrow.

V8Supercoupe
10-14-2005, 08:35 PM
No they are different. I believe the pass. side is larger.

Dahoopd
10-14-2005, 08:55 PM
Actually, I should have waited the premature post. I took the halfshaft back just in time. It was the wrong one in the box. They sell the same part for both sides. They carry the same part number someone pulled a fast one and put this cheezy one in the box and neither the guy nor myself caught the taped end.

The center section was like 1 1/2 diameter compared to like 2 1/4 on the other one. Now they have to oreder the right one. I sure hope this thing holds out that long. Its vibrating its arse off. I will be so glad to once again have it back to normal......until it breaks again.

90blkbrd
10-15-2005, 08:42 AM
You better do a search. I believe our cars came with 2 different sized 1/2 shafts.

lube70
10-15-2005, 09:57 AM
The stock SC came with two small halfshafts for auto's and a "fat-shaft" for the manual on the passenger side. This was to prevent the shaft from breaking due to torque of the manual.

You can install the fat-shafts in both axles if you want to give the added strength.

Don

David Neibert
10-15-2005, 10:59 PM
The stock SC came with two small halfshafts for auto's and a "fat-shaft" for the manual on the passenger side. This was to prevent the shaft from breaking due to torque of the manual.

You can install the fat-shafts in both axles if you want to give the added strength.

Don

Don,

It's my understanding that the fat shafts used on the 5 speed cars were only bigger to place more rotating mass near the center of the shaft to help reduce wheel hop. They are no stronger than the standard diameter shaft.

David

defect
10-16-2005, 09:24 AM
Try this place
http://www.raxles.com/
when I last checked it was 249.00 per axle and all new and stronger according to them

XR7 Dave
10-16-2005, 09:45 AM
All SC axles are all the same length. Strength is not an issue as no one has ever broken a shaft that I'm aware of. It's the snouts that break. Raxles suck. Don't buy one unless they can gaurantee you that they have improved their heat treating process and will absolutely replace an axle if you break it. Every one I've seen has broken.

Super XR7
10-16-2005, 11:59 AM

Don
My automatic 89 Cougar XR7 came with a fat shaft, so it makes me wonder if the fat shaft was exclusively for manuals to reduce wheel hop.
Mike Tuck

SCrazy
10-17-2005, 08:31 AM
Try this place
http://www.raxles.com/
when I last checked it was 249.00 per axle and all new and stronger according to them

If your considering buying Raxles I would look through the shootout threads from last week. There are some very graphic pictures of a pair of brand new Raxles after 1 soft launch at the track.

Kurt K
10-17-2005, 08:47 AM
If your considering buying Raxles I would look through the shootout threads from last week. There are some very graphic pictures of a pair of brand new Raxles after 1 soft launch at the track.Ha Ha, for fun I went to their site. I thought their motto was funny.

NEW LOOK, SAME GREAT OE QUALITY

Maybe you should try and send something for their testimonial page.

At Raxles, we pride ourselves on superior quality and service. Collected on our testomial section is just a small sample of the feedback that we receive on a daily basis... check out what our customers and members say about us.
If yould would like to add a coment, please feel free to email testimonials@raxles.com.