new rad from mike38sc + fab practice +

talonhead

Hopefully the pics will show up. I bought a radiator fom Mike with no frame because I intend to eventually go with an fmic. SOoooo ... as I was looking around my garage and thinking how I would go about puting this thing in.
I saw a 3'x3' sheet of stainless in some scrap I salvaged from a friend who was cleaning up a property he just bought.
The sheet wasn't too stained. So I started laying out with cardboard patterns and alot of freehand, basing it off the oem fan mount/guard. Only real hitch was I didn't have a break to put flanges in the box. But the name of the game is adapt and overcome!
the last shots are with the rad before install. mike H

Here (hopefully) are some shots as I went along.

Last edited:
more pics

It is 14 gauge sheet stainless, used my Miller DVI Mig and .030 wire, alot of abrasive cutting wheels for grinder and dremel tool. Working on finishing the mounting brackets for the whole shootn' match. It will have to wait for finish grind/sand/polishing (details....)opinions welcome.

Last edited:
I think you're doing an awesome job!!!

...As far as constructive criticism goes, I would suggest you shroud that part of the fan blade/disc that is exposed at the top, 'cause I know that sooner or later I would get my hand close enough to hurt myself, even though the fan shouldn't be running until it's hot enough that you wouldn't want to be there.

Also, it looks like you've got an early style car, with the coolant overflow on the passenger side. Why does the rad have the nipple facing the driver side? Are you planning to relocate your coolant overflow/reservoir?

I'm still impressed with Mike's work on those rads! I wish I got in on one when he was still making them.

Best regards,

Sean

Mike built me a radiator I absolutely love. I wish i had a pic of the install but I'm still waiting on a few parts to put the beast together I'd hate to put a good radiator like that onto a worn out 150,000 mile motor.
Alan

talonhead said:
It is 14 gauge sheet stainless, used my Miller DVI Mig and .030 wire, alot of abrasive cutting wheels for grinder and dremel tool. Working on finishing the mounting brackets for the whole shootn' match. It will have to wait for finish grind/sand/polishing (details....)opinions welcome.

Is the shroud very heavy? That would be what would keep me from using SS. I had thought of doing something simular to that only in alum. I dont understand the large notch on the top though. I see the curve part of the shroud protrudes into it but I would have made the notch a tight fit to the curve and welded it. The idea is a good one and if you didnt have access to a brake or shear the work looks great working with what you have. Its all about making the end product your own and unique. Very nice

Ken

Thanks

Thanks for the good words. The slot in the top (bottom also) is due to running out of shield gas for welder (have to redeem some soda cans again :D ). The open areas on the guard side are due to running out of strips of metal the right size, need a couple more feet. As to weight, it is not to bad. The fan motor weighs more than the guard! Also I was thinking of intergrating the SC logo there somewhere, not sure if I'll do it out of flat sheet or strips on edge (thin looking). Still have to finish the mounts, finish grinding and sanding and polishing also.

The overflow is indeed backwards. will run a longer hose to the recovery tank for now, have to check if I can drill and tap the other side later and plug the current hole.

The next major move up front is an FMIC. Thats gonna be a major evolution. Will have to move the washer tank if I put it in front of the A/C condensor. Or get an aircon short unit. Will have to put a pusher fan on the IC.
mikeH

installed! more pics

Ok it's installed. Still a little rough looking, but have to get it back on the road ASAP for a road-trip for work to VA. Will eventully pull it out and mod it again (over/under design school) got to fix the 'under-designed' parts. And again when I put the fmic in.

Still have to flush the block and heater before hook-up.
-mikeH

Last edited:
Back