Car Starts..........Then Dies

90XR7Cougar5spd

I got my Car running tonight, well kinda, as the title states the engine starts, revs REALLY high, then dies. I dont have the SC belt hooked up yet, i wanted to start it and here it run before hooking it up, I dont have any vacuum lines hooked up, would that cause the high rev or not?????? Also, what would cause it to Start then die, the car starts right off on the first try, but after it dies, its hard to start, i am kinda thinking the FPR is doing this because there is no vacuum going to it, am i right? Also, if someone has a good vacuum diagram with hose sizes ect., that would be great, i am in need of one at the moment and the one on the core support isnt helping me much.

Thanks

Derek

My SC will run like poo and die with just one little vacuum line unhooked. If you have a few of them sucking air then your lucky it does anything at all. I would try again with everything hooked up. good luck.

Phillio99 said:
Vacuum leak.

Yes, im aware there is/was a vacuum leak, before, i had none of the vacuum lines hooked up. But i either ran the by pass valve next to the SC, and i ran the one for the FPR, and blocked off the rest.. Started the car today and it did like it always did, reved really really high (maybe 3000-3500) and then dies off, i however did get it to idle for a short time today, but you gotta work the throttle ALOT. Im going to pick up an IAC probly tom. or the next day, so hopefully that will fix all my problems. Oh and also, i dont have the SC belt hooked up, it broke the other day and damn near took my head off when it went, im also going to pick that up tom or the next day. Anyone have Alldata so i can find a GOOD vacuum diagram. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Derek

ALLDATAs vacuum diagram is the same as the one thats under the hood. If you have to rev the engine to keep it running its more than likely a vac leak. Does the engine run at all when you unplug the electrical connection the IAC. If it does, vac leak, if it doesn't, bad IAC. Was it bad before? Goose sounds when its shut off? Get the vac lines solved now, seal up IC connections make sure all gaskets are good.
Phil

Phillio99 said:
ALLDATAs vacuum diagram is the same as the one thats under the hood. If you have to rev the engine to keep it running its more than likely a vac leak. Does the engine run at all when you unplug the electrical connection the IAC. If it does, vac leak, if it doesn't, bad IAC. Was it bad before? Goose sounds when its shut off? Get the vac lines solved now, seal up IC connections make sure all gaskets are good.
Phil

I have NO vacuum leaks, im positive on that. And yes, im well aware the the IAC is bad, im picking up a new one tom. or the next day. The only real thing holding me back on getting this car road worthy is IAC, clutch line, and Vac. lines.

Derek

carb cleaner

A cheap can of carburetor cleaner will go a long way in helping to find those darned vacuum leaks... Just in case you didn't know

Update~!

Ok, i got a new IAC valve today, pretty much cured the reving at start up problem, but the car wont stay idling, you have to keep the throttle open a little over 1/4 of the way for it to run. It runs fairly smooth considering ive got my cam sensor unhooked. Need to do some tweekin with that some. Any ideas as to why its dieing????????

Thanks

Derek

And oh yeah i forgot to add something, when it running it spews steam or something outta the pipe thingy in the thermostat housing, i dont have that hose hooked up yet, i just wanted to test fire it before i put any antifreeze in it is why its not hooked up.......................

Derek

You done a compression check? Not running unless you have the throttle open + compressed steam coming out of the cooling passages from only a brief test fire doesnt add up to a good thing.....

7birdslater said:
You done a compression check? Not running unless you have the throttle open + compressed steam coming out of the cooling passages from only a brief test fire doesnt add up to a good thing.....

Once i shut the car off, it lets out more steam then quits. The motor is fresh, i would surely think that the headgaskets arent blown already, there also isnt any smoke coming outta the exhaust either. And it takes a few min for the steam to start, like after it gets warmed up..

Now that I read back through some of your past posts, I see that you have a new engine. Probably not a blown headgasket, but I would think running it without coolant for anything more than 30 seconds or so is playing with fire :)

Back