Head lights eeeerrrrrr

91ScDrIvEr

Ok here is the story. I have a problem with my head lights and inside lights. the inside lights stay on even when all the doors are close and kills my battery. I might have the salution for that. But the head lights when I pull the head light switch on my tails work but the head lights dont.....BUT..... when I turn the brights on the regular lights work and the brights dont as if the switch isnt even working for the head lights at all. I replaced the head light switch and it still has the problem.... Not even the brights light in the gauge cluster dont even come on just the normal head lights come on.....so here is the plot...........when head light switch is on headlights dont work but if the head light switch is off and I turn the brights on the regular head lights work and not the brights. Parking lights work and tails but not the head lights or brites at all The brites dont come on at all never...could it be the brights switch that is messing every thing up ? and if so how does the brights switch interact with the regular head lights? and all this could it be messing with the interior lights as well ....Remember the head light switch is NEW please help me (crying)

Check out the multi-function switch (turn signal stalk). Probably the switch or connector has melted wires that are shorting out. Very common problem since Ford runs full amperage through both the headlight switch and multi-function switch. Also, if this is the problem you can solve it by using relays for the headlights. There are kits available such as Competition Limited. John

I looked at the wiring all the way threw the car from the switch to the lights and no burned wires or freys, and i also looked at the switches both head light and multi switch, :confused: and every thing looks to be in mint shape. Could the inside be burned of the multi switch? cus i replaced the head light switch.

Yes, I think the multi switch could be bad and still look good. Try to find someone to loan you a known good one to check before you buy one. I've seen them on ebay for around $15.00 and I think a boneyard would be about the same. John

This might be a long shot, but I had a problem with my headlights similar to yours, and tracking it down was just luck. At the front of the car slightly off center on the passenger side was a little multiple connector for grounding more than one ground on the car. It is about
1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 1/4" black square thing bolted to the car with a plug for about 6 connectors on the bottom of it. The connector that plugs in at the bottom had worked its way loose over the years. I took the connector off, cleaned it up, snapped it back in place and the problem with my headlights went away.

when i get home from work today ill check this out but i went on TCCOA and bought a muli switch for $22 shipped. so this way if it isnt that lil box atleast i have one on hand and if it is that box ill still have one spare for just in case. i guess its always good to have one on hand to turn over or to just have.

Back