Acting weird after JLT CAI install

SCaddict

I installed my JLT CAI and I am having a few issues. At first the car idled like a top fuel dragster and then came around after a minute or two. I did disconnect the battery to clear the memory and I know the car had to learn to idle again. It was running very rich. I took it to work today and the car is a total dog of the line. Before the car would plant me in the seat and now it feels quite slow. The car still pulls OK, but out of the hole, it has barely any jump. Could it be running really rich and losing power down low? Any ideas would be great. The car idles and drives fine otherwise.

Last edited:
what kind of filter are u running? ahh never mind i see you are running that C/L MAF... is it the one that just hangs and air goes through right? i think that might be your problem.... i had the same problem when i did my el cheapo cold air intake... it would throw the CEL.... the problem... was that sensor i guess the air was a lil turbulent.... anywho i fixed it with an original 70MM MAF from a 92 LATER T BIRD... the bigger one wit the sampling tube through the middle...

Last edited:
Could your car be runnig too lean with more air now being sucked in?

I have a 75mm Pro-M and didn't have any issues relating to the JLT. :confused:

try to add atleast 3 inches of tube before the maf sensor... see if u can stabalize the air... thats what i tried to do but gave up... it should work....

C&L meters are notorious for not reading air correctly.
Also, keeping the filter directly ON the MAF is the best position for it. It's just like factory.
It was designed to read air coming directly out or the filter.
You may need a good tune or a different MAF. You will see what's going on when you hit the dyno.

I think any MAF larger than stock shouldn't have any type of bend before the MAF, especially on a C&L. Make sure you have the right sample tube if you're running the 30# injectors. I think it's a purple tube.

I like C&L's better because they run a tad rich to make things safe (not enough to notice though). They also are easier to tune because you change injectors all you have to do is swap out sample tubes instead of shipping it in to get it recalibrated.

I have an 80mm C&L w/ 42# injectors and it works great.

Back