MPIII Question

I did some measuring ,sanding and polishing of the inside
my MPIII plenum to better port match a MPIII blower.

I don't know if it helped any,but the insides are shinny now
to match the outside. :)

RANDY

Last edited:
seawalkersee said:
I guess then, the only improvments would be welding the ports closed?

Chris
We made 390 rwhp and 469rwtq at 5,000rpm on 92 octane pump gas on a Mustang dyno that reads 4% lower then Dyno Jet dynos. Closing the vent ports does not add power, it just makes the blower whine more. Polishing the ports might make it look better inside but the power is in the "shape" of the porting.

The key is pulleys and belts that don't slip and a good tune. Travis at Fast Specialties has been doing our tuning and the results show.

Charles

Last edited:
But as far as opening the triangle? That is the type of porting I am talkin about. If you did that already then that would explain the ability to overdrive it soo much.

Chris

Chris,
The MPII exit port was widened 1/2" on each side over stock and the front edge was beveled to reduce drag. The MPIII’s exit port is the same width but is longer reaching back another 1 1/2" to accommodate the additional airflow that is created by the intake port geometry.

By far the biggest drawback the M90 has is the short intake port duration and port size. The MPII increased intake port duration and size (cross-sectional area) and also raised the port in the case that was very important. The Intake port cross-sectional area was increased as much as possible with the 94/95 intake port geometry but still it was limited. The MPIII intake port geometry is much larger requiring a new inlet plenum casting so Magnum Powers invested in the production tooling required to bring this product to the SC community providing a very affordable product to a very limited market.

The changes we made to create the MPIII allows it to breath very well at high rpm’s where the MPII began to give out as its volumetric efficiency began to fall due to its 1.75” x 4.50” intake. This allows the MPIII to be overdriven more, which raises power across the entire power band, not just at the top end.

The reason the stock M90 generates so much heat when spun fast is because its volumetric efficiency begins to decrease at a very low rpm. Because air has a hard time flowing through the supercharger the air is heated up by friction. Because air can freely flow through the MPIII the exit air temperature and the power required to turn the supercharger is reduced.

Charles

Last edited:
supercatxr7 said:
So 390 rwhp at 5200 rpm. What rpm was peak torque at and was the car an auto or stick?
Peak torque as at 3400 rpm. The SC is a 5 speed.
Mods included:
Owner ported heads, bowl work only, with stock valves but stiffer springs, never seen a flowbench.
206/206 .512" lift cam
Stock intake manifold
Stock return elbow
MP FMIC Kit
MP Raised Top
MPIII w/ Plenum 20% overdrive
85mm TB
Cold Air Kit
Lightning 80mm MAF
50# injectors
Exhaust w/ headers

92strokedbird said:
What were the air exit temps at the blower exit.
Don't know, more testing this week if all goes well perhaps it can be datalogged. Our Lightning blower typically has an air charge temperature of 146 degrees running 20 psi boost while the Kenne Bells running the same boost is 158.

Charles

XR7 Dave said:
Charles, have they had a chance to take the car to a track yet?

No, Travis the owner and tuner at Fast Specialties says it's not a race car and he will not even put race gas in it. It's one of his daily drivers and he likes it that way. Each to his own I guess.

You may have heard Kevin Leitem ran a 11.60 at the shootout in Oklahoma last week with a MPIII and was the fastest one there. He came back and found me in the stands, he was so excited saying that was his fastest run ever and he babied it all the way down the track, didn't even use his trans brake and short shifted it through all the gears. Once he gets a few issues worked out he is sure he will run 11.40 or faster.

Charles

Magnum Powers said:
Peak torque as at 3400 rpm. The SC is a 5 speed.
Mods included:
Owner ported heads, bowl work only, with stock valves but stiffer springs, never seen a flowbench.
206/206 .512" lift cam
Stock intake manifold
Stock return elbow
MP FMIC Kit
MP Raised Top
MPIII w/ Plenum 20% overdrive
85mm TB
Cold Air Kit
Lightning 80mm MAF
50# injectors
Exhaust w/ headers

with 206/206 I/E duration, did that engine have a distinct lope at idle? i'm wandering how much cam i could get away with and pass emissions (without excessive fuel richening) with a similar mp3 setup as this. in my state, they put the car on a dyno like device and measure emissions at idle and part throttle, which makes me hesitate putting a cam in. my target is about 340-350rwhp. do you think i can reach my goal using a stock cam and mp3 setup?

Last edited:
Thanks for that Charles. I am looking forward to owning one in the future. I was just wondering how much room there is left for improvement. Not that its a bad product. But like adding the coated rotors and such. If there is nothing to gain from the porting job, then it looks like an almost finished product. Thanks, and it was good to chat with you in OKC.

Chris

hytorksc said:
with 206/206 I/E duration, did that engine have a distinct lope at idle? i'm wandering how much cam i could get away with and pass emissions (without excessive fuel richening) with a similar mp3 setup as this. in my state, they put the car on a dyno like device and measure emissions at idle and part throttle, which makes me hesitate putting a cam in. my target is about 340-350rwhp. do you think i can reach my goal using a stock cam and mp3 setup?
I am quite sure you can make those numbers with a stock cam. We made 319rwhp with a stock engine (lots of miles on it), stock heads and cam and stock Intercooler. All it had was an high flow exhaust, MPIII w/ Plenum, 70mm TB and a cold air kit and Raised Top running 15% overdrive. If it had the MP Front Mount Intercooler, 85mm throttle body it would be at your target. BTW, Travis' 206/206 cam is very mild and still gets good gas milage but fades away above 5,000 rpm.

Last edited:
seawalkersee said:
Thanks for that Charles. I am looking forward to owning one in the future. I was just wondering how much room there is left for improvement. Not that its a bad product. But like adding the coated rotors and such. If there is nothing to gain from the porting job, then it looks like an almost finished product. Thanks, and it was good to chat with you in OKC.

Chris
Chris,
The coated rotors are a good thing and will help performance. All the numbers I have given out or talked about were with bare rotors because 9 of 10 are bare. If you want maximum performance defiantly slip a pair of coated rotors in there.

I had a great time at OKC meeting you guys and talking gears with a bunch of SC nuts like me. I think we all had a good time and took away some good memories. I have never seen so much carnage, broken axils, tranys, blown head gaskets and I hear a broke rod! On second thought I guess everyone had a good time except for the guys who broke, and perhaps (hopefully) they had a good time to.

Cheers,
Charles

Magnum Powers said:
I am quite sure you can make those numbers with a stock cam. We made 319rwhp with a stock engine (lots of miles on it), stock heads and cam and stock Intercooler. All it had was an high flow exhaust, MPIII w/ Plenum, 70mm TB and a cold air kit and Raised Top running 15% overdrive. If it had the MP Front Mount Intercooler, 85mm throttle body it would be at your target. BTW, Travis' 206/206 cam is very mild and still gets good gas milage but fades away above 5,000 rpm.
thanks Charles,

Do you happen to have the hp rpm/torque number/rpm as well for that stock mp3 setup at 319rwhp? That would help me figure out a realistic goal.

thanks again-

Back