Clutch Pedal Confusion

ThunderCoupe

When i got in my car today, i pushed the pedal, and it had full resistance and then after holding it for a few seconds to pull the keys out of my pocket and start the car, i noticed that the car was locked in gear and wasn't rolling(parked on a hill). I let my foot off the pedal and it barely came back up. I checked the fluid and it was low... i filled it up and pumped the pedal etc etc... it would still be firm, but the pedal wouldn't come all the way back up. The reservoir is full, but the pedal occasionally hangs by the brake pedal or lower. Has this happened to anyone? my guess is that maybe the mounting bolts on the master cylinder fell off... also, it only has this problem when it's cold really. Once the car is warm, the pedal starts to work consistently, but it takes constant pumping to keep it up when cold. Also i was wondering, do they still make replacement clutch lines... if all is well as far as mounting goes, i think i might just replace the whole start to finish. Basically... i think i'm asking if anyone else ever had this happen to them... Also i was wondering if the idea of the bolts being loose would make sense...

Sounds like the bushing on the master cylinder pushrod could be worn out. you should bleed the slave cylinder and make sure it is not leaking.

One of a couple of things could be wrong. Before doing any of this, check your master cylinder for any leaks this will save alot of time/effort because its right there and easy to replace.
You most likely have air trapped in the lines, you have to bleed the lines like you would the brakes. On the driver side of the bellhousing you will find the hydraulic line and the bleeder valve about 2" higher. Try bleeding the lines of air.
If that doesn't work then your in for A. Alot of work, or B. A big check to write to your wrench.
That means the fingers on your clutch are broken or, most likely your slave cylinder is shot.

ok, get this... whenever the car is warm, the clutch works like a dream, whenever it's cold, it does this crazy stuff where it's only firm for the bottom inch and doesn't even come back up past the brake pedal. I checked the bushing and the master cylinder already... the bushing seems a little loose, but there's not even a centimeter play from the master cylinder banjo that goes over the pedal. I'm thinking that the hydraulic line may be expanding as it gets hot and then closes either a hole or a bad connection in the slave cylinder or master cylinder. I can't find any fluild leaks from above and haven't had a chance to get under it since someone borrowed my jack and jackstands leaving me with nothing to get under the car with. This really confuses the heck out of me and I can't reasonably explain it in any way. I know it's not air in the system because the pedal works great when the car is warm, firm all the way from top to bottom, fully disengages, clutch starts to catch right after the middle of the pedal like it should, everythings solid gold, but until the car gets warm as of late, it wont even disengage... it was so bad today that i had to put the car in reverse, start it and back out, shut the car off, put it in first, and then drive away... that's the first time it's done this, and i thought i had a long drive ahead of me to get home from about 30 miles away, but like i said, as soon as the car warmed up... all was well... I hope someone has some insight into this situation...
(I REPEAT) Is the clutch hydraulic line still available for purchase? i'd hate to replace the master and the slave, and then find out that i still have the problem. It's not the time or work or money that bothers me, because i've been wanting to replace them anyway to make certain that nothing will go wrong, its that i dont want to think that i have the problem solved, and have it still come back to haunt me.

Different car but same idea. My buddy has a subaru with a hydraulic clutch, he had the same problems (bad cold clutch) they replaced his slave and all was well. You can try to find a new line from ford, last I read there were 3 left in the nation or something? Or find one off another member on the site.

No the clutch line is obsolete. You might get lucky and find one if you ask your ford dealer.

The line is plastic so I doubt unless it is physically damaged that it is the problem.

Well, i've got a solid transmission mount and poly crossmember bushings coming, so it looks like i'm going to have to replace the slave too when they finally get here and i get around to it... til then i'll just keep up what i'm doing and ill keep looking for some kind of solution... thanks for the help so far

Back