Part # for famous ignition switch in the column?

superdupercoupe

My brakes are as hard as a rock. After some research here I'm going to get the ignition switch that is located in the steering column and ABS relay to have on hand. Hopefully 1 of the 2 will fix it.

I just picked up the car and absolutely love it! It's a '92 SC with 100k on the clock. Can't believe how she pulls, but with the brake issues I couldn't truly see the full potential and I'm dying to run it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Are you talking about the ket cylinder or the switch lower down on the column? I don't know the part number, but I know they can come apart and cause a bad connection. Mine came apart and I used zip ties to hold it together.

If the brake pedal is hard, it could be a relay or the pump itself. Can you hear the pump running when you turn the ignition on? You can also pull codes for the brake system if you know how to. I've never done it myself, but maybe someone else can help with that.

Last edited:
NCredSC said:
Are you talking about the ket cylinder? I don't know what that would have to do with the brakes working or not working. If the brake pedal is hard, it could be a relay or the pump itself. Can you hear the pump running when you turn the ignition on?

When I turn on the key I just hear a slight humming noise up front for a couple seconds, not sure if it is the pump or not. I thought it might be the injectors pressurizing but the car is brand new to me so I don't know.

I guess the ignition switch I've read about is the key cylinder.

As far as the key ignition goes, the key won't even go in now so I definitely have to replace it. I've read you need a security bit set to take it out, any idea where to get it from????

To remove the key cylinder, take off the plastic trim around the column. There is a pin on the cylinder that locks it into the column on the under side toward the driver. Put the key in and turn it slightly between off and on position, push the pin in and pull the cylinder out. The new cylinder will slide in and the pin will pop out when the key is turned.

Get that fixed and then see about the brakes. A key cylinder from Ford will be $30-$40, but you should be able to get one from Autozone or Advance.

NCredSC said:
To remove the key cylinder, take off the plastic trim around the column. There is a pin on the cylinder that locks it into the column on the under side toward the driver. Put the key in and turn it slightly between off and on position, push the pin in and pull the cylinder out. The new cylinder will slide in and the pin will pop out when the key is turned.

Get that fixed and then see about the brakes. A key cylinder from Ford will be $30-$40, but you should be able to get one from Autozone or Advance.

Unfortunately, the key will now not go in to the ignition. I actually have the plastic trim off and can see the cylinder. Is the pin facing you when you look at it? Do you have to have the key in to remove it, I hope not because the damn thing will not go in, I've been at it for over an hour trying to get it to go in.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!

You might be able to get it out without the key in, but you'll need to have the pin pushed in. I had the key break off in the cylinder in my 88 GT and a locksmith couldn't even fix it. I had to tear the cylinder out bit by bit to get it out, so I could put a new cylinder in it. I hope you don't have to do that.

The pin should be facing the driver and it's not very big. I'm not sure if it will go in without the key in it and turned.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Here's a link to the Florida club. Maybe some down there that is close can give you a hand with it. There are some really good people down there.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the replies. I'll see if I can tackle the switch after work on Sunday. Hopefully I'll have some luck getting that sucker out.

superdupercoupe said:
Thanks a lot for the replies. I'll see if I can tackle the switch after work on Sunday. Hopefully I'll have some luck getting that sucker out.

I posted it on the Florida page for you, hopefully someone will be able to help out.

NCredSC said:
I posted it on the Florida page for you, hopefully someone will be able to help out.

Sweet... I didn't even know there was a Florida page here, I'll have to check it out. Thanks again!!!!

Last edited:
Your brakes are hard b/c you have no power assist and that means the accumulator is not running. Does your ABS pump run? If the pump runs then you most likely have a bad accumulator but if the pump doesn't kick on them I would suspect electrical problems or the motor is just shot. Have someone listen under your hood to see if the pump runs or not. Press the brakes about 20 times with the key on and the pump should kick on if it comes on sooner then the accumulator could be bad. This is why I went to conventional brakes :rolleyes:. http://www.35ththunderbirdregistry.org/Tips/ABS.htm
Try this web site it can walk you through and help you better than I can. Good luck! If you want to junk that junk system this will help
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59901&highlight=Brake+swap

OK going back to my mustang steeling days......All you have to do to get the ignition out, is take a punch that fits the whole perfect and smack it real good one or two times. that should break that little pin and out comes the cylinder. but there is a plastic peace that there is on the back of the ignition that will break all you need is needle nose plyers to get that out and just pop the new one in. that trick goes for all fords new or old......but i didnt tell you that lol

Jake said:
Your brakes are hard b/c you have no power assist and that means the accumulator is not running. Does your ABS pump run? If the pump runs then you most likely have a bad accumulator but if the pump doesn't kick on them I would suspect electrical problems or the motor is just shot. Have someone listen under your hood to see if the pump runs or not. Press the brakes about 20 times with the key on and the pump should kick on if it comes on sooner then the accumulator could be bad. This is why I went to conventional brakes :rolleyes:. http://www.35ththunderbirdregistry.org/Tips/ABS.htm
Try this web site it can walk you through and help you better than I can. Good luck! If you want to junk that junk system this will help
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59901&highlight=Brake+swap

Well I had a locksmith come and replace my ignition switch... $100!!!! :mad:

I had my wife go and pump the brakes with the key on as I was listening for the pump to kick on from under the hood. I didn't hear a damn thing.

I'm going to try the Antil-Lock Brake relay and pray that works, if not looks like it's gonna get expensive real quick, probably why I got such a good deal.

Anybody got a picture of where to find the relay? I don't know crap about these cars..... YET!!!! I'd also like to get a hold of a manual.

Back