Balancer and pulley question

7birdslater

I know it is against some kind of sacred law, but I am looking for a used balancer to put on my 90SC. I just want one to last long enough to decide if this engine is worth sinking money into, or if I should get a different one. My question is: I found a used balancer with no pulley. Can I have my pulley somehow balanced onto this unit? Thanks.

yea, you can have your pulley balanced at a machine shop. if you're gonna do this at least get a new bolt. its the same thing as a mustang 3.8 bolt from 96 up i believe. im telling you its going to break though, so be careful and dont drive too far. been there, done that, and it wasnt cool at all. if you do decide to keep going on the motor, get a bhj. dont waste your time with ford factory replacements. good luck :)

Moses

I will use a new bolt. I really need the car to be mobile in the driveway. I will check with the machine shop here in town. Thanks.

Well the person im buying the balancer from found the pulley that goes with it. I still might run it by the machine shop to make sure its wobble free. A new crank sensor, bolt and this balancer should have me driveway mobile.

It might last several years or it might fly off next week...just depends on the condition of the balancer and the harmonics produced by your motor.

David

PS: I gave Scott Long a used balancer off my motor about 1.5 years ago when I switched to a BHJ and I think it's still on his car.

I think the biggest issue with any balancer is the fit clearance onto the crank. The bolt is secondary to it having a good fit in the first place. Also a machine shop verification will make me feel a little better too.

balance pins?

Also, this has probably been mulled to death, but I cant find anything conclusive. my original balancer has two balance pins right next to each-other, should I duplicate this on the replacement or just leave the replacement as is? Thanks.

7birdslater said:
Also, this has probably been mulled to death, but I cant find anything conclusive. my original balancer has two balance pins right next to each-other, should I duplicate this on the replacement or just leave the replacement as is? Thanks.

There is still dissagreement within the SC community on that point. Here is a good thread that presents both views.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21592&highlight=Balance+pins

I would leave the pins out.

David

David Neibert said:
There is still dissagreement within the SC community on that point. Here is a good thread that presents both views.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21592&highlight=Balance+pins

I would leave the pins out.

David
the pins were put in to balance the harmonic balancer they are put in indivisually per each balancer dont move them !

the balancer is balanced by them each one is different same with the pulley it is balaced by itself not as a unit with balancer dont alter the balance.

my overdrive pulley had to be balanced I had to remove a 1/4 oz to bring it back to neutral balance.

so use the balancer use the pulley dont change the pins .

and if the balancer goes bad aka starts to get loose at rubber it can be rebuilt I did mine at home with a can of the right stuff and some pins to center it . so far over 5k on it without any problems .

I know there are several places online that rebuild balancers for around 100 bucks. I am thinking of having my old balancer rebuilt since all that failed on it was the rubber, and keeping it as a hot spare with a new bolt ready to go on should something happen.

Back