possible to get accurate speedo with 373s in a 5spd?

x182dan

I would like to know because I am swaping over to 5spd from auto and for now I am gonna keep the 373s I figure might as well try it out. Is there anyway to get the speedo to be correct I am almost positive to get the correct speedo gear for this setup. If I got an autometer digital speedo could I get that to work correctly?

Thanks Dan

Not sure about the AutoMeter speedo.

If you want to correct it with speedo gears, you would need 22.6 teeth for stock height tires, with the original 8 tooth drive gear in the trans, or 19.8 teeth with a 7 tooth drive gear. So the first way, you would have to get one of the non-Ford 23 tooth driven gears. But those can wear out quickly because of the fine teeth. Other route to go (I'm not 100% sure that anyone has done this), is to change the drive gear to a 7 tooth unit from an F-150 M5R2 trans, p/n E8TZ 17285 B, and then use a Ford 20 tooth driven gear.

cheers
Ed N.

I think you should try the gears for a few days before bothering with the speedo. I'm sure you will hate them and will be looking to trade someone for some 3.27s.

BTW, I'm looking for some 3.73s and have 3.27s now...let me know if your interested in trading.

David

Speedo gear

fast Ed said:
Not sure about the AutoMeter speedo.

If you want to correct it with speedo gears, you would need 22.6 teeth for stock height tires, with the original 8 tooth drive gear in the trans, or 19.8 teeth with a 7 tooth drive gear. So the first way, you would have to get one of the non-Ford 23 tooth driven gears. But those can wear out quickly because of the fine teeth. Other route to go (I'm not 100% sure that anyone has done this), is to change the drive gear to a 7 tooth unit from an F-150 M5R2 trans, p/n E8TZ 17285 B, and then use a Ford 20 tooth driven gear.

cheers
Ed N.

Ed is the 23 tooth gear for the the 4R70W different than what he would need for the M5R2. I bought a 23 tooth gear from one of the local Ford dealers down here in Houston when I swaped the 4.10's into my car.

Charles

im figuring i wouldnt hate 373s I'll just be shifting out of first realy early like 10mph. On the highway it SHOULDn't be horrible but thats not really my question I need help on the speedo question.

What about one of those electronic speedo calibrators? I've never used one, but I believe they plug into the VSS circuit. I think they are around $100 or so. I know they make them for Mustang applications which may work on our cars as well. I believe someone on here had one a while ago, but after a while it tended to drift. Perhaps they have improved. Anyway, might be a better alternative than the 23 tooth gear.

Kevin Varnes said:
What about one of those electronic speedo calibrators? I've never used one, but I believe they plug into the VSS circuit. I think they are around $100 or so. I know they make them for Mustang applications which may work on our cars as well. I believe someone on here had one a while ago, but after a while it tended to drift. Perhaps they have improved. Anyway, might be a better alternative than the 23 tooth gear.
I have one by Cyberdyne, which is no longer available. It does work great though, and yes, I think it drifts a little. I have heard there are others out there, but I never needed to investigate it.

Back