Changing A/C compressor on my 89 SC

Shockwave

I made up a webpage for the pics as they would kill 56K users.

Click Here for detailed pics

I went to the junkyard today and found a 1994 Cougar with factory R134a lines and compressor. I picked up the compressor, acuumulator and orifice tube line. I also picked up a orifice tube line from a 94 4.6 V8 just because it routed different than a V6. I was courious if it would fit a SC. I am not sure at this point what I can use out of all of this. The Cougar has a rear port compressor and the lines go around the side not under like the SC. N/A V6 compressors mount upside down compared to SCs but that isn't a major problem. It also looks like the lines wont work. Also the r134a lines are quite differeent than say a 93 r12 car. I would interesting if you could use these lines as I don't believe Ford changed the condensor or evap from 1993. This would be a great R134a conversion for my old 90 Cougar V6 if I still had it. The condensor and evap lines are in the same place so that wouldn't be a problem.

This compressor is a 21 spline FS-10 and my old one is a 16 spline FX-15. I'm 99% sure that I can use my coil and pulley and the 21 spline clutch on this 94 compressor. I have been posting that we should be able to use newer style clutches and our 8 rib pulley so I guess it's time to put up or shut up.

I plan to flush the lines, condensor and evap. I will then use Ford YN-12 PAG (viscosity 46) oil with R134a.

I will keep the thread updated on my progress.

Jerry

MKTSC, can you get the model number off of it? I don't need one, but if its FS10, or FX15, then all years should be able to use it and maybe you can find someone needing one.

I paid $290 retail for a new one, and the rebuilts were around $250.. Considering the crappy reputation of the chain store rebuilts, and what sort of $$ you have to spend on an A/C job, saving $40 is not worth it, IMO.

I can't really tell you what its worth, but I'd think if it was working and you can vouch for it, then if you decide you're going to be selling it, then get some ester oil and pour about 2 oz into it and turn the shaft to work it through, then fill it again with whatever runs out.. Then seal it up with plastic wrap to keep water and air out of it. That way it won't rust just sitting around while you wait for a buyer. Some salvage yards might good guides as to what its worth.

Well I got my A/C working again. I couldn't use the accumulator or high pressure lines from the 94 cougar v6. My poor old FX-15 had two bad pistons with the rubbers off. No wonder idle performance sucked. I bought a quart of Flush for $14 but the condensor was really dirty. I had to use rubbing alcohol first to flush the condensor. Rubbing alcohol is $.79 a quart and works very good as a flush. After I got the condesnor running clean I did a final flush with the expensive stuff. I also flushed the evap, accum, and the lines.

sideview.jpg

To get the 21 spline clutch to work with my 8 rib pulley, a made a .230 thick bushing to go between the shaft and clutch. You are supposed to use small washers to adjust the air gap between clutch and pulley. In this case I had to compensate for the .200 difference in depth of my old 89 clutch vs. the 94 style clutch. Also I had to use my 89 clutch coil as the 8 rib pulley would not fit over the newer style larger coil.

I drained the compressor and then added an 8 oz can of viscosity 46 PAG oil. Total oil for system is supposed to be 7 oz. Since Ford only recommends this oil in there 134a systems , I decided to switch to this oil over ester. Also this compressor had PAG in it I don't think it would be good to mix the two oils. We will see how it holds up. The compressor is very smooth and quiet and seems to work well.

Parts used:

1994 FS-10 Compressor F4SH-19D629-AB

21 spline Clutch F3DH-19D786-AA

89 SC 8 rib Pulley and Magnetic Coil

Complete flush of Evap, Condensor, and lines.

Jerry

Back