PDA

View Full Version : struts

hawk
10-17-2005, 07:20 PM
i have a 89 sc 3.8 I want to replace the front struts and bushings. Does anyone know the correct part # or place to buy them. One place told me $189.00 apeice and another told me $59.00 apiece. Somebody is pulling my leg or sh$$ing me?

Digitalchaos
10-18-2005, 01:15 AM
Part number for the Tokico Illumina II front shocks (stock replacement ARC) is EU3689.

You might read this post to gain a perspective on aftermarket options: Stock Ford ARC Shocks vs Aftermarket Shocks (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62008&highlight=shocks)

For even more info, a search regarding shocks produces many results: Shocks on SCCOA forums (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/search.php?searchid=311768)

Also, an informative post from a knowledgeable member of the community about our front shocks:

Duffy Floyd

Struts or shocks?????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A pet peeve of mine is that some folks persist in thinking that the front shocks on a MN12 are actually struts. That is incorrect.

The front suspension on all MN 12's employs a long spindle SLA (Short-Long Arm) system with double insolated tension strut, high efficency stabilizer bar system and varible rate coil springs. The front shocks absorbers are actually coil over shocks. From info I read this configuratrion was specifically chosen since a conventional McPherson strut front end would have interferred with the desired low profile front end of the MN12 by being too long causing design comprimises that FORD did not want to make.

The rear suspension is a fully independant system mounted on a rubber isolated subframe. Large lower control arms (H-arm configuration) are used to oppose torque reaction on braking and accelereation. A forged toe compensator link controls toe out during braking. The stamped upper control arm provides camber control. The rear coil spring is also varible rate.

Neither the front suspension nor rear use struts........read it and weep!!!!!!

Hope that helps;
Kevin

hawk
10-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Thank you very much for the info sites. the guy tried to tell me my car used only 2 electric shocks and 2 reg on the back. But according to the book and the look of the shocks they are all arc. He also said i needed 2 front struts, cant find them in this book. Any site with info are always greatly appreciated. Again, thank you.
hawk