Engine shuts off by itself after drag race

quick35th

For some reason after racing my buddy's 99 GT a few weeks ago when I let off the gas and pushed the clutch in my engine dies :confused: I dont know what the tach looks like when the engine dies cause I didn't even notice it untill I heard the upshift light screaming at me that the engine had died. It starts and idles fine like it should. It died both times I raced my friend but does not die when I mess around goosing the gas. Maybe its running out of gas during high speeds? It is close to empty and half of whats in the tank is a year old :eek: Guys what do you think is a matter with my 35th?

Shane

Mike8675309 said:
Over rev?
Bad Battery cable?

I kept the revs to 5K rpm tops. I burned out threw third gear so I dont know if the battery cable thing could be the calpret but I know the battery was not securred very well and the cables might not have been the tightest that they could have been. Any other ideas guys?

Shane

A nearly empty tank with old gas could probably cause trouble coupled with a dying fuel pump, but the first thing which came to mind when you said it occured after releasing gas and disengaging clutch was some form of vac leak. It may be prudent to check rubber hose fittings and butterfly valves.

Are you experiencing any other symptoms in addition to this?

Upon further thinking, perhaps it could even be a bad reading from a sensor affecting fuel air mixture..

Digitalchaos said:
A nearly empty tank with old gas could probably cause trouble coupled with a dying fuel pump, but the first thing which came to mind when you said it occured after releasing gas and disengaging clutch was some form of vac leak. It may be prudent to check rubber hose fittings and butterfly valves.

Are you experiencing any other symptoms in addition to this?

Upon further thinking, perhaps it could even be a bad reading from a sensor affecting fuel air mixture..

At idle the boost gauge reads right at or just below 20 in HG or vac so I dont think I have a vac leak unless its not showing up there.

I never had any throttle responce problems at all. When I wanted the power it was there and it came on strong. It didn't miss a beat while racing just afterwords it would up and die for no reason. I did notice that with the clutch pushed in while coming to a stop the tach was moving slowly from like 900 rpms to like 1200ish rpm untill the car came to a stop when it would smooth out.

Shane

Oh almost forgot but I dont think this will effect this very much as this has happend before and has never done this to my car before. The sensor connector for the intake charge temp sensor keeps breaking when I smash the gas so half way threw the first run it fell off and set the check engine light off.

Shane

Maybe the car is rebelling against becoming a race car. :D I shudder to think what would happen if you owned a Yugo. :eek: Maybe old gas would make the car act like that. :confused:

Motor mounts

Check your motor mounts. The ACT should only hit the firewall if the driverside mm is ripped. Bad motor mounts can cause quirky idle problems.

Anthony

Last edited:
Coast to Coast SC said:
Check your motor mounts. The IAC should only hit the firewall if the driverside mm is ripped. Bad motor mounts can cause quirky idle problems.

Anthony

Anthony,

Motor mounts and tranny mounts have been replaced with solid rubber ones from SCP about a two years ago.

I was talking about the sensor that mounts on the side of the return plenum by the master cylinder not the IAC. It hits the cowl pannel under hard acceleration for some reason even with solid motor mounts.

Shane

Whoops

I mistyped there, gimme a break, it's early out here :p I meant ACT...I installed solid motor mounts and then mysteriously began to break ACT's a few years later. I had ripped the drivers side motor mount...even though it was solid...abuse can break almost anything :D Give it a check. It won't collapse like the hydraulic mounts but will rip.

Anthony

Shane,

A small vacuum leak, dirty IAC or an incorrectly adjusted throttle can all cause the stalling. Sometimes my SC stalls when I put it in park....it acts like the sudden unloading freaks out the IAC.

David

David Neibert said:
Shane,

A small vacuum leak, dirty IAC or an incorrectly adjusted throttle can all cause the stalling. Sometimes my SC stalls when I put it in park....it acts like the sudden unloading freaks out the IAC.

David

I'll have to look into that David. Yeah it was sitting for a year with the hood up most of the time so its kinda dusty under there. I will have to do some cleaning and next spring so how she acts, though it could possibly have alot more power by then too :D

Shane

If your engine is moving that much, it's very possible your motor mount is torn again. It might also be pinching a ground cable or something.

Mike8675309 said:
If your engine is moving that much, it's very possible your motor mount is torn again. It might also be pinching a ground cable or something.

Damn, this will be the third time me taring it apart. First time was to do the mounts, second time was because I thought the mount was torn cause I lost my second ACT sensor connector, and now it looks like I am going to have to take it all apart again :( :(

Shane

David Neibert said:
Or you could just relocate the ACT sensor.

David

That doesn't sounds like much fun David. I should just find out why its doing it in the first place cause with all that engine movement I will either break other stuff or be slower in the 1320.

Now, say I take it all apart again and find out that my drivers side motor mount is still good like it was the last time I tore it down. What could be the cause of my engine flex?

Shane

hey shane if your not busy friday or saturday i wouldnt mind making the trip to come help
the 40th needs to stretch her wings :D ;)

titanium89scguy said:
hey shane if your not busy friday or saturday i wouldnt mind making the trip to come help
the 40th needs to stretch her wings :D ;)

Jim,

If you want to come to town and hang out thats fine but I did not intend on taking her apart anytime soon as she is put away for winter. I'll end up fiddling with the 35th some once I get the tubular kmember for it and get the rest of the suspenssion parts I need.

Shane

Back