Need some Rim Choice INPUT!

Dahoopd

Decided to get some wheels for my Bird. Not sure what the best size choice is. There alot of styles but in differant sizes. What does everyone think is the best fit and the best look on the SC a 17 or 18 inch. And what width would be the best 7.5, 8, 9. I like 18's but are they really ok on the car. Can you give me some size ideas. Thanks

The only way to get really sweet wheels is to swap to the 5x4.5 bolt pattern. Not much for our cars especially in 18". You're limited to replica wheels, ADR's, and a select few others. If you did switch bolt patterns, I'd recommend some Saleen 18x9's and 18x10's or Roush Argent's in the same sizes (If they fit, not sure). I think in 17's, a 9" width is pretty standard.

I also say 17x9. 10'' wide wheels won't fit unless you start modifying your suspension. 18'' rubber is even more expensive than 17'' and with that much of a smaller sidewall, you'll get a bit of a rougher ride too. 17's are cheaper, ride better and you can still get nice wide rubber on them so why spend the extra $ to go up to 18's?

Thanks guys, keep the input coming. The only reason I wanted 18's is that Ford had to jack up a beautiful car with a 4 foot wide wheel well. These cars would look so much better if the front and back of the wheel well was more contoured to the wheel.

Your right about the 18 inch rubber. I was just checking out tires.........EX-pensive.

What about the mustang hub swap. Is there a differance when its done from our backspacing and the mustang?

Last edited:
245-45-18 tires are becoming more common now, they are original equipment on some newer vehicles. Some relatively inexpensive ones are out there if you shop around. Many people end up using 45-series tires in 17" anyway, so there's no difference in sidewall height. Overall diameter of 245-45-18 is almost identical to stock, and fills the wheelwells better.

Backspacing needs to be a bit more than a 94 - 04 Mustang. Around +40 offset for 8" wide wheels, +35 for 8.5 or 9" wide wheels.

cheers
Ed N.

fast Ed said:
245-45-18 tires are becoming more common now, they are original equipment on some newer vehicles. Some relatively inexpensive ones are out there if you shop around. Many people end up using 45-series tires in 17" anyway, so there's no difference in sidewall height. Overall diameter of 245-45-18 is almost identical to stock, and fills the wheelwells better.

Backspacing needs to be a bit more than a 94 - 04 Mustang. Around +40 offset for 8" wide wheels, +35 for 8.5 or 9" wide wheels.

cheers
Ed N.

Ed,
Is that back spacing for the 17 or 18? Thanks for the help.

Wheel diameter won't matter much for backspacing in this case. The wheel width will determine the offset number needed.

cheers
Ed N.

You could always order the rims you like... have them come not drilled.. find a shop that can drill them for you to the 5x4.25 pattern...

Cobra R style rims look uber cool, but I have a feeling that they're uber heavy. I would go with something in a forged aluminum, that, while expensive will increase the performance of your ride.

Found a set of Rims I like and want real bad but not sure if the size is ok. They only come in a 18x7.5 w/ 245/45/18. Will a 7.5 inch rim be ok. They are the 5x4.25 lug pattern.

I have been searching for days. They are made by the guy on Overhaulin, they are Foose wheels. Tad bit more expensive than I wanted but they will look damn good.

I doubt Foose wheels are cheap! Too bad they aren't 17x9 so ya can get a little extra rubber on the road.

i went with the mustang hub swap and put on 18x9 black saleen rims with 265/40/18 michelin sport pilot tires and eibach 1.5" lowering springs.the stance and look of my car is awesome.

Back