First Test Drive Ever (im 18)

X

xThunderbirdSCx

Ok ok, rip me out except for 1 FAST SC...lol but i saw a Honda S2000 today and i had to try it out. All i can say is wow is this car a blast to drive. Especially with the high revving 9000 redline, this car made alot of power in the high end. Exact opposite of my SC, which makes all its power before 3000 it seems). I know everyone is sick of all this import talk on these forums, but i just have to know, what do you all think of these cars?????

I like them as well, I would never buy one personally, but I do respect the n/a power they make and the way they can rev so high.

i once saw a S2000 and it was a loser working at a PIZZA HUT deliverying pizzas in it thinking he was mr kool... i guess he just works to pay off his car... why not test drive a COBRA.. i herd they are fun to drive also... especially with the SUPERCHARGED V8 32 VALVE DOHC.... ;) but thats kool... what ever tickles ur fancy!

I like them too. Seen a couple of supercharged and turbo charged ones in some videos.

Imagine putting an SC motor in a car that small.... :eek:

Darkstar one

Im loving the BF2 picture!! :D

I honestly don't like them. I'm not a fan of any honda really, except for the NSX.

If I had to choose between the supercharged cobra and the s2000, I would pick the cobra in a heart beat. The S2000 rev's too high if you ask me, but I've never really driven one, I think for the money and the supposed performance, the s2000 doesn't perform well at all. I think magazines rated them at mid 14s in the quarter mile stock, in this day and age, that's pretty mild for a "performance" car.

It seems the pricing on a used s2000 is pretty consistant at 24-25k. You can get the supercharged cobra used with around 10k miles on it for around 23-24 range. The better buy goes to the Cobra hands down if you're into straight line performance.

Well, my reaosn for buying this car would not be for straight drag racing. I have an SC for that :rolleyes: . When i drove the 2000 i was addicted to the way it sticks to the road and takes turns. Its a blast to drive around corners. Im not looking for straight performance, but a reliable, fun, sexy car for daily good weather driving, with respectable gas mileage.
And with respect to the high revving. The engine was built to be happy around 5500 RPMs with the 9000 RM redline, unlike our cars who sit happy around 1500-2000RPMs. Much like the Rx7, youre supposed to beat on this car RPM wise, or the engine will start to loose reliability. Which means that it doesnt hurt the car to shift around 6000 RPMs. What do you think about them with respects to that?? Im getting into college for free on an ROTC scholarship i hope, and if i do, im seriously considering buying a 2 seater sports compact, and turn the SC into pure drag. I could really use some honest opinions and thoughts from you guys. And i really dont want some beefed up cobra mustang, im looking for something much UNLIKE my SC, you know?

Last edited:
What's wrong with a Cobra Mustang?? Seriously though, the S2000 would be a fun car, but just think about what you could get for that kind of money. A used C5 Vette wouldn't be out of the question...

You can get a used evo or sti for about the same money if you want something that sticks to the road you're going to be hard pressed to find something that sticks to the road like either of those cars.

Of course everyone will say I'm biased, but the numbers speak for themselves. Granted, they are ugly IMO, but I preffer performance over styling.

well like i said, im not gonna drop all that money down on my first car for something thats ugly. Remember i dont want a drag/strip car. I just want a fast, sporty car thats a blast to drive. Convertibles are a plus. I have my SC for drag racing. I test drove a Cobalt SS today, and was very displeased at the performance.

The new 350Z (2003+) I just looked at some, might go for a test drive tomorrow. What do you all think of these?

The new 350Z (2003+) I just looked at some, might go for a test drive tomorrow. What do you all think of these?

I think they should have come with forced induction from the factory. Those cars are dogs until you upgrade something that blows air with a name like Stillen on it.

yes everything seems slow when its not BLOWN... but anywho... go with what you want... if u like the S2000 go for it...

I think i just might. I find out sometime inbetween february and april if i get the ROTC scholarship, and if i do, im going to put a nice down payment on a nice 2000 if i can find one, and then turn the SC into a track car, or mabye use it for general purpose when the 2000 isnt acceptable. Plus i just bought a new laptop that im financing, which should be payed off in full by sometime in June, so summer would be a good time to buy one. IDK though guys, i just fell in love with the s2000 instantly, but i dont know anything about Hondas and if they are reliable, and last.

well... i think ur putting all ur eggs in one basket... im sure u can find a way better car for the same amount if not lower that will fit u and 3 more friends... if u have friends of course...

A prelude SI costs half as much cheaper to upgrade and maintain actually has a back seat....What about a later model 300zx? s2000's are way to pricey!

If you had to finance a laptop computer what makes you think you can afford to take on such an expensive car? Let alone before you pay off your computer. You must love paying interest. That is one of the worst things you can do from a financial stand point.

Pay off the computer first, the sooner the better. Why would you finance something so cheap? I mean you could have saved for a few months and payed cash and then bought the laptop.

Now being young and not having much if any credit established you are gonna get raped financing a car like an S2000. Not to mention you will have to come up with a big down payment probably 20% or more for a first time buyers program, you will be lucky to get financed on it with less than 12% interest. I used to work at a dealer and I know how this goes. I'm also young, will be 23 in a few weeks. But I know better than to finance a car right now. Wait till you get some credit established so you can get like 1% financing or whatever. Best bet is to just pay cash for stuff, you'll end up cheaper in the long run. The only debt I feel acceptable to finance is assets such as businesses, a house, etc.... cars are a ~~~~~~ investment. Save your money till you get in the airforce. A commissioned officer who's single starts out around $2800 a month with no expenses. If you are married by then you will get that in addition to a housing allowance (depends on your area you live but is usually around $800-1100 a month) and a substanance allowance (around $300-500) so you could save the money up and buy a car flat out and not get screwed on financing it.

Just some advice. Take it if you want.

Back