Hard Brake Pedal Diagnostics?

superdupercoupe

Hey guys!

My new to me '92 SC has the hard brake syndrome with Anti-Lock and Brake lights constantly on. I changed the ignition switch and changed the ABS relay. I was only under there for a couple minutes and I actually heard the pump once, but I'm not sure what I did to get it to turn on. I was giggling wires and snooping around the master cylinder and relay firewall area. I haven't been able to hear it again. :confused:

Does anybody have the ABS troubleshooting tips from their manuals they could send me? I don't want to start throwing money at it. I know you can use a volt meter to track and trace to see if you're getting power to certain spots which I think is a real good start.

My email is sendemail@adelphia.net if anybody can shoot me anything that may help. I'm getting desperate!

I'm in terrible need for a factory manual for this thing if anybody knows or has one for sale for a '92, let me know!!!!

Thanks!!!
Joe :)

hey bro read this first...

http://www.35ththunderbirdregistry.org/Tips/ABS.htm

that guy is a genius...

i belive it might be your ACCUMULATOR ball that has gone down the crapper... do urself a favor and do not turn on the car anymore... you will burn out the abs pump and thats a bitch in itself to replace....

if you want to purchase a new accumulator contact http://www.priorreman.com/ and just tell them what year your car and the make and model and they will send you the right one....

the accumulator is a big black ball on top of the abs system... it cost about 100 bucks brand new... should last you about another 100k miles...

any-who to remove the accumulator ball... pump your brake pedal around 25 times with the ignition switch off... better make it 35 pumps... just to make sure... and remove it with a the damn socket... i forget the size... you will see... but remember to de-pressurize the system or ur not gonna look good being 6 feet under or in a hospital bed on life support because the damn ball shot out like rocket into ur forehead...

Thanks DarkStar!

I actually came across theat helpful page through my research. But the article said there was plenty of troubleshooting tips through the manual. I can't seem to locate a manual for this thing as of yet.

I was hoping someone had the diagnostic procedures already. I hear the 89-92 ABS are basically identical.

I might just have to send this to the stealership... I mean dealership, but being it's an older car I don't know if I can find a mechanic that really knows the SC!

like the FORD manual or like a HAYNES/CHILTON manual.... if i were you i would follow this guys advice... or take it to mechanic with the webpages printed out....

do yourself a favor and do not send it to the dealership they will try to replace the whole ABS unit and that cost 1500 bucks... a lil too much dont ya think... if u can hear the pump running... then its the accumulator ball not being charged.... simple as that... that is as simple as i can put it... just take the 100 dollar risk and change out your accumulator ball... better than paying the 1500 bucks at the dealership....

Yeah, the dealership is my last resort!

I was only able to hear the pump once (I think it was the oump) not sure what I did, but I can't seem to hear it again.

I also noticed in the Power Distribution Box under the hood on the drivers side the EEC relay is missing. What is the function of this relay.

I also noticed there are other fuses there, that I'd like to at least test.

They are labled
B Anti-Lock Motor
K Anti-Lock Module

anyway of testing these are checking them?

superdupercoupe said:
Yeah, the dealership is my last resort!

I was only able to hear the pump once (I think it was the oump) not sure what I did, but I can't seem to hear it again.

I also noticed in the Power Distribution Box under the hood on the drivers side the EEC relay is missing. What is the function of this relay.

I also noticed there are other fuses there, that I'd like to at least test.

They are labled
B Anti-Lock Motor
K Anti-Lock Module

anyway of testing these are checking them?

I just noticed that the EEC relay is for all except SC's. How about a test for the others under the power distribution box, B & K?

yeah scroll down to the ABS webpage were it says BASIC TROUBLESHOOTING... you should try the troubleshooting from the webpage.... pretty good way to narrow down the problem...

Back