another t-bird nightmare

specops_SC

yesterday my cam sensor went out. no biggie. i found a borg warner unit and put it into the car. with the bad sensor the car always started, but after the swap it wouldnt start at all. it would turn over, make sounds like it was backfiring, almost went, but didnt start. upshift light was on all the time. swapped the old cam sensor back, and same thing. put the new one back on, messed around with the connections for the crank sensor, went to start the car, and all i get is a click from the starter solenoid. swapped alternators and same thing. it was past 10pm already so i was pretty frustrated, but does anyone have any input on any of this? much appreciated. :(

Moses

If the upshift light was on the entire time it sounds like to me that you either have a bad crank sensor or bad harmonic balancer. Check to make sure the crank bolt holding the HB on is still there as the HB could have walked forward and the vanes on the back of it are not being picked up by the crank sensor. Good luck!

Shane

Shane is right. Often both sensors seem to go bad at the same time for some reason. I'd suspect the HB.

As for the starter, it is showing typical signs of being bad. Personally I take them apart and if they look ok, I throughly lubricate them and reassemble. Often times that is all they need. However, if it was dry inside and you did a lot of cranking it may need to be replaced.

Back