Black Rims for SC

JiggaJake

So I live in MI, have 2 SC, an 89 auto and 92 5-speed, both suck at driving in the winter! I have put snow tires on my 89 before and ruff'ed it out before but the rims get all salted and the tires dont last very long because I never get around the taken them off in time (i just drive on them till they are toast, which happens really fast :D ) Anyway I got some non-SC rims from my buddy for 50$ with some snow tires on them, kick-~~~ deal I think yes, but I they are kinda skuff'ed up a bit and I'm feeling in need of a project. SOOO...my question is can u spray or powercoat rims black easliy? Somthing to look some what good? Willen to put about 50$ into this project so no professional junk here. K thanks!!

~Jake

Sure you can!

JiggaJake said:
So I live in MI, have 2 SC, an 89 auto and 92 5-speed, both suck at driving in the winter! I have put snow tires on my 89 before and ruff'ed it out before but the rims get all salted and the tires dont last very long because I never get around the taken them off in time (i just drive on them till they are toast, which happens really fast :D ) Anyway I got some non-SC rims from my buddy for 50$ with some snow tires on them, kick-~~~ deal I think yes, but I they are kinda skuff'ed up a bit and I'm feeling in need of a project. SOOO...my question is can u spray or powercoat rims black easliy? Somthing to look some what good? Willen to put about 50$ into this project so no professional junk here. K thanks!!

~Jake
Jake,
I had a set of SC Wheels I sandblasted and sanded smooth, then painted a basecoat clear coat white over them in my driveway using a small tent for the "Spray Booth" Didn't take long, and they look like original wheels not some poor trash job.

You might be able to skip the sandblasting depending on how "scuffed" they are!

Most Paint supply stores have a lot of colors in base coat and then just spray some clear over it for durability.

Just My 2 cents. Will Post Pics tonight for you!!

Smitty

need some tools but it can be done..

Sand blast them to clean them up, then get a good primer & paint. There are a few out there that are good, don't buy the $.99 cent ones, but rather spend the $$ and do it right. Whole job should take a week end with dry time and all...
Say you don't have a blaster, then look in the phone book. If you have to send them out they should be able to do them for $25 or so....Good luck...
My other idea would be to buy a 4x4 for the winter, or even a front wheel drive car. Better than rusting out your baby........Rich

Quik95SC said:
Jake,
I had a set of SC Wheels I sandblasted and sanded smooth, then painted a basecoat clear coat white over them in my driveway using a small tent for the "Spray Booth" Didn't take long, and they look like original wheels not some poor trash job.

You might be able to skip the sandblasting depending on how "scuffed" they are!

Most Paint supply stores have a lot of colors in base coat and then just spray some clear over it for durability.

Just My 2 cents. Will Post Pics tonight for you!!

Smitty

Cool...I think i'm going to try this sandblast / sand and then basecoat paint idea. And how many layers u think of clear is needed? Like 1-3 layers of base then 3-5 of clear?

~Jake

Coats

JiggaJake said:
Cool...I think i'm going to try this sandblast / sand and then basecoat paint idea. And how many layers u think of clear is needed? Like 1-3 layers of base then 3-5 of clear?

~Jake
Jake,
I did 2 Med-Wet coats on the paint, and 3 on the Clear. To much more and it fills in the groves on the center cover. Yes, I did tape off the thunderbird emblem on the center covers in case you are wondering. They really look good! Like I said will post Pic tonight.

Smitty

What I did on my 89's steel wheels was to spray them with Rustoleum "Hammered Metal" black paint. It came out looking really cool - a semi-gloss black with a little knobby texture to it. The paint held up ok, with a few spots chipping off after a few years. It probably would have lasted much longer if I had seriously cleaned / sanded / stripped the wheels first (I did very minimal surface prep).

pro street rich said:
My other idea would be to buy a 4x4 for the winter, or even a front wheel drive car. Better than rusting out your baby........Rich

Amen to that! Rick had to cut two bolts and the strut rod itself because my car was so rusted.

If there is anyway to avoid rust, do it. It's not worth the hassle down the road.

Pics I promised

Jake,
Here are those pics I talked about. Tried last night but they were to big, so I changed the resolution and took some this morning.

Smitty

Attachments

• P1010043.JPG
    P1010043.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 60
  • P1010044.JPG
    P1010044.JPG
    271.1 KB · Views: 84
  • P1010046.JPG
    P1010046.JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 49
  • P1010047.JPG
    P1010047.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 77
Quik95SC said:
Jake,
Here are those pics I talked about. Tried last night but they were to big, so I changed the resolution and took some this morning.

Smitty

wow those came out preety good looking, looks very profesional

Quik95SC said:
Jake,

Smitty

Nice! I'm doing my this weekend. I am going to an auto zone to grab some sandpaper and paint. I got a frient with a sand blaster so it should come out nice! Thanks again!

Im going to do my 35'th rims with the base/clear. With a little bit of taping off, you could make the lip of your rims silver also. Just buff it out shiny or just spray the clearcoat over the sandblasted surface.

Those white rims look awesome.

Quik95SC said:
Jake,

Smitty

WOW! Those SC wheels look very cool. I think I may try doing a set of SC wheels similar to that someday.

Shane

Back