Turbo/Super Charging a Regular LX

SuperFly Flynn

Can I just drop a turbo/super charged motor in there if I wanted? Like could it be done? (Not much of a car buff so sorry if I sound stupid) Oh and whats better? Turbo/Super?

I don't know of a Turbo kit for the 3.8. There is an SC kit for the 3.8 - Vortech kit for the 3.8L Mustang. I believe you have to do some modification to make it work on the T-Bird, but I'm not sure what is needed.

Using the M90 off a Super Coupe... yeah, it could be done as well, but not recommended since the internals are different from a 3.8L N/A and 3.8L SC engine. There's an article in the FAQ's section about the differences between the two engines as well.

-Melon

SuperFly Flynn said:
Hm, how big is the 3.8? Like, could I even get just a regular V8 put in?

Thunderbirds were available with V8s. You can pretty much put whatever V8 you want in there. Some will be more difficult than others, but even a 460 will physically fit inside the engine bay. I'm currently in the process of dropping a 351 Cleveland into my Thunderbird, it's actually smaller than the 4.6 that was in there before. You've got a lot of options here, a 3.8SC isn't necessarily the only way to make more power.

Back