Intake Manifold Gaskets?

Clutchin

I recently had an internal coolant leak from the intake gaskets and am replacing them with fel-pros.does anyone recommend to put silicone around the water ports on the heads or just put them on dry.Since it took over 10 years for them to leak,I imagine dry is my best bet.

When I was doing my H.G., I asked that same question to a Ford Mechanic I trust. He recommended NOT using any silicone sealant around the water jackets. Others on this site may have different opinions. Hope this helps.

i just put a little pea sized spot in between each hole and on the ends, it is very difficult to get the gaskets to stay put!!!! :confused: :mad: i just did it yesterday so its fresh in my mind,lol, hope this helps u out.

Paul

Dito on spraying with copper coat. I also use a thin layer of Permatex Thermostat/water pump sealer on the head and intake manifold sufaces around the coolant passages. They are very often pitted from the coolant and don't have a good sealing surface.

David

I use silicone around the water jackets. If you notice when you pulled those bolts out they were all rusted and corroded. Since the bolt holes are blind at the water ports, then the only way for water to get into the bolts is from the gasket leaking. I've noticed on many SC's that the aluminum near the water jackets gets pitted and corroded. That's why I use silicone there.

Make sure to torque the intake manifold bolts several times. As you go through the torque sequence they will loosen up. It usually takes me 2-4 times torquing them before they all hold the specified torque.

I'll second the idea of making sure the bolts are torqued again, I didn't do this and I ended up with a massive air leak causing the computer to throw a lean code and maybe damaging something else, ever since I screwed up on this the car just doesn't sit at the right temp anymore, thinking maybe I damaged the heads or gaskets. So even after I went back in and tightened them back up I’m still having temp issues, not sure if that was the culprit but I do remember that it started happening around the same time. So make sure that you double check those bolts! ;)

if you use gooble (gasket sealer) around water ports or oil for that matter theres a chance of a bit getting in the water ports later on down the road and cause over heating problems. no matter how little you put on if there was ever a leaker later on the rtv can be pushed into the motor. ON that note i wouldnt put rtv around any ports. gaskets are made to be put on dry. thats the whole purpose of gaskets. Back in the day did they have to use it? no and today there gaskets are coming out better and better as years go on. Not to mention you can cause a air pocket and it will start its own leak. better off just getting your hands a little dirty put some elbow grease in it and do with out it. may take a little longer to line up correctly but now your sure your not gonna clog up your motor and as long as you torque the bolts to book foot lbs you shouldnt leak. trust me do it right or have it done by a profetional so its warrented!!

91ScDrIvEr said:
if you use gooble (gasket sealer) around water ports or oil for that matter theres a chance of a bit getting in the water ports later on down the road and cause over heating problems. no matter how little you put on if there was ever a leaker later on the rtv can be pushed into the motor. ON that note i wouldnt put rtv around any ports. gaskets are made to be put on dry. thats the whole purpose of gaskets. Back in the day did they have to use it? no and today there gaskets are coming out better and better as years go on. Not to mention you can cause a air pocket and it will start its own leak. better off just getting your hands a little dirty put some elbow grease in it and do with out it. may take a little longer to line up correctly but now your sure your not gonna clog up your motor and as long as you torque the bolts to book foot lbs you shouldnt leak. trust me do it right or have it done by a profetional so its warrented!!

Exacty how many of the 3.8 SC intake manifold gaskets have you changed ? Based on what your saying here...I'm guessing none.

Using the sealer around the coolant ports is not going to cause any problems or clog up the motor...spraying the gaskets with copper coat is not going to cause any problems either. Some of the people who posted on this thread and gave advice on how to install the intake manifold, have done it numerous times and we know what works and what doesn't.

BTW, the torque specs in several of the repair books are also wrong.

David

When I install intake gaskets I use a thin layer of RTV around the water passage, because I often find pitting of the mating surfaces in that area. Seems like a preference thing to me. Maybe someone should do a poll on this.

Intake Gaskets

Thanks for all the advice on intake gaskets.I have assembled a few big block 429/460's in the past when gas was cheaper and my need for speed was greater.I have used rtv around the water ports in the past and have never had any problems with it.I am sure that if I put my gaskets on dry that it may work well for quite some time but why not be extra sure and try to make this problem area better.I am also going to use studs to hold the gaskets in place and will remove them when I get a few bolts in.I will definitely retorque the intake several times and a day or two apart as I am very meticulous and never in a hurry to rush a job.Thanks again to all you long time SCers who have been there and done that before.

Back