Doing rear brakes, have a ?

DMZ

I know about the screw in piston and I will have a KD tool for that. I am a bit confused if I need to release tension on the park brake cables as per stated in the Ford Manual. I am just replacing the pads and hopefully slapping it back together. Will the calipers go back on without touching anything with the parking brake?
The manual is a bit confusing to me on releasing the tension. Pretty bad when I have a manual and still cant figure it out! :(
At my age I have to take things slowly and want to avoid any problems if possible. Easier to learn from other's mistakes! ;)
I just bought a 94 5 gear SC from a member here on the net. As you can see this is my second post. My first was the contact to buy the car which I now have! :)

Thanks, Danny

If you are leaving the caliper and bracket on the car & just lifting the caliper to change pads, then you'll stress the e-brake mechanism/cable a bit, but it shouldn't be a problem. However, that doesn't give you a lot of room to screw back the piston - which can be tough (even with the nice KD tool). If the brakes haven't been serviced for a while be prepared to remove the caliper to the bench to get that piston to retract. One helpfull tip is to release the bleed screw (with your bleed tube and container attached) if you screw back the piston while still on the car.

Back