ABS wire harness removal

Jake

I've switched to conventional brakes and want to get rid of that rat nest looking wire harness. Is there any other wires that are used in the main abs line? Thanks.

Jake, I have a complete SC 89-90 wiring diagrams printed up from Alldata if you want em, I have to mail as I do not have on CD. If you want em, I'll send em to you.

The harness for the ABS module is shared by the auto-shock/variable assist steering module.

I was wondering the same thing, bummer its all tied into the other stuff...

I've been meaning to ask another question to smeone else whos done this.

Did this screw up your cruise control? Now when I hit my brakes, the cruise control doesn;t shut off. It doesn;t fight with e when I'm on the brake, but when I let off the brakes, a second or so later, it comes back on :eek:

Does anyone else's do that???

If your cruise is not shutting off then your brake light is not working either. Check the switch at the pedal.

Jake, pull the entire ABS and ARC harnesses out of the car.

XR7 Dave said:
If your cruise is not shutting off then your brake light is not working either. Check the switch at the pedal.

Jake, pull the entire ABS and ARC harnesses out of the car.

hmmmm, I sure hope they are :eek:

They were when my wife was helping me bleed the brakes :confused:

I'll have to make sure the connector hasn;t fallen off or something.

sizemoremk said:
I was wondering the same thing, bummer its all tied into the other stuff...

I've been meaning to ask another question to smeone else whos done this.

Did this screw up your cruise control? Now when I hit my brakes, the cruise control doesn;t shut off. It doesn;t fight with e when I'm on the brake, but when I let off the brakes, a second or so later, it comes back on :eek:

Does anyone else's do that???
Check and see if the yellow button for the cruise is intact. You have to look way up under the dash. There's a metal bracket with a black ribbed tube attached to it. The yellow button is inside the black tube. When I swapped brake pedals, I dislodged the black tube and I had no cruise control. The button should make contact with the flat spot on the brake pedal arm. When you step on the brake, the button loses contact with the pedal and kicks off the cruise.

Jeremy_K said:
Check and see if the yellow button for the cruise is intact. You have to look way up under the dash. There's a metal bracket with a black ribbed tube attached to it. The yellow button is inside the black tube. When I swapped brake pedals, I dislodged the black tube and I had no cruise control. The button should make contact with the flat spot on the brake pedal arm. When you step on the brake, the button loses contact with the pedal and kicks off the cruise.

Thanks!

But that part is OK, I just had the dash out, and that little vac switch is OK. If that switch was out, I don't think the cruise would work at all.

It comes on OK, it just don't shut off :eek:

Back o the question at hand, I'll start a new thread if I can't figure it out...

Sorry for the hijack :eek:

sizemoremk said:
Thanks!

But that part is OK, I just had the dash out, and that little vac switch is OK. If that switch was out, I don't think the cruise would work at all.

It comes on OK, it just don't shut off :eek:

Back o the question at hand, I'll start a new thread if I can't figure it out...

Sorry for the hijack :eek:

No, the vacuum line switch dumps the vacuum when you hit the brakes. This is functioning if your cruise is disabled when you are on the brakes.

If the cruise re-engages after releasing the brake, then your brake light switch is not working properly. A bad or improperly installed switch will not turn on the brakes under light braking. Remember, stomping on the brake pedal when the car is stopped is not like ordinary braking unless you routinely put people through your windsheild. Slide a piece of white paper behind your 3rd brake light and watch the reflection next time you use your cruise. I'll bet your brake lights aren't coming on when they should.

Ok since I have a partner in the hijacking :p

I got what you're saying, the vac is dumped, which is why I don't fight the cruise when I brake.

It scared me the other day when it happened, so I tried it again :eek: and it happened again, so I just aint used it in a few days.

I wonder if the flat spot on the rod is upside downy :confused:
I put it in the same orientation as the teves unit, but it may have gotten spun around without my knowledge. My 4 year old mechanic may have been helpin :)

I gots to take tha panel off again anyways, there is an annoying !#$ rattle I have to find :mad:

thanks!

Dave I want to pull the abs/arc wiring harness but it looks like its plugged into other stuff like this black plug and grey plug. So if I cut this big wire mess that runs through to the passenger side firewall can I unplug everything that goes to it?

Attachments

• Beach with Rick and carla 054.jpg
    Beach with Rick and carla 054.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Beach with Rick and carla 056.jpg
    Beach with Rick and carla 056.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 66
Of course I am not normal!! My buddy unhooked all the abs- skock junk under the hood of my car. So I took a hack saw cut it all off and pushed it thru the firewall. Then go down the line and cut it loose.:eek: Lighter is faster.

Thanks Tim that's what I'll do. Just making sure someone else has done it first. I'm in the process of hiding all my wires and that mess was first on my list.

Back