Cracked collar nut!

JimmyDean

When I got my car, there was a whole bunch of electrical tape around the collar nut. Today, I was taking off the top and taking out the intercooler, and I decided to tighten up the collar since they had obviously loosened it. What do I find under the tape? A cracked collar nut! How much boost do you think I was losing out of this bad boy? The top is completely rotatable around the nut... Does anyone have a stock upper IC tube with raised top firmly attached for a nice price?

Attachments

• mini-PA270001.JPG
    mini-PA270001.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 145
  • mini-PA270002.JPG
    mini-PA270002.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 114
  • mini-PA270003.JPG
    mini-PA270003.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 127
More explanation

JimmyDean said:
The top is completely rotatable around the nut.
All you really need is a used collar nut.

Are you saying that you can't unscrew the tube from the collar nut? If so, then you need a spanner nut wrench, or a big screw driver & a BFH. Either should get the tube loose from the collar nut.

68COUGAR

Yea, for some reason I cant unscrew it even though it should be really loose right? The raised top is competely rotatable in that position, as shown in pic 3. Any way I should seal this temporarily?

The collar nut will always rotate indepently from the top. You should be able to hold the IC tube and unscrew the collar nut from it.

If you do decide to get a used collar nut and install it, you will have to remove the inner retainer that holds the collar nut onto the top. That piece uses a spanner wrench (or deft use of hammer and screwdriver).

One thing to note is that while the collar nut is a standard right hand thread and is threaded onto the IC tube, the retaining nut is a LEFT HAND thread onto the top.

This picture will better illustrate what I am trying to say:

sctoprg2.jpg

I got it off, and all back together. It leaks like a mad man. At first, it wouldnt even idle. Now Im only getting like 4-5lbs of boost. Damn I need a new top I guess. Or collar nut. One thing I did that was REALLY stupid is I slightly stripped the threads where the bolts for the SC top screw into in the supercharger... ARGH!

I bolted the top to a table and then heated the collar nut with a torch. It was still very hard to get off.

Back