Figured out what the codes meant!

snakesm13

alright im pretty sure the codes that i got meant that my HG had a leak in them and next time i get on it and boost, my HGs were going to blow, which was less than 10 min ago :( :mad: :mad: :mad:

White smoke out the exhaust, it was dark but i could hear a bubbling sound around the resevior area :eek: , which comes to my next point

first off, i will not be able to do this myself, major mechanical work is not permitted in my apartment parking lot and do not have a friends house i could do this at or anything to that nature.

i am a poor college student paying my way through college myself, and i cannot get to work unless i have a car, and do not have money to fix it. Solution?
I go to a technical school which has automotive technology and they will fix students cars as long as you pay for parts... brings me to my next question
how much am i going to expect to pay for the parts... anyone know of a place to get them cheap?... ok i know economical is not in the SC dictionary but is there a cheap but yet long lasting head gasket set i can buy? im going to do some searches but if someone knows or has a link where i could get a great deal on them please please chime in.

also if they are not able to do this in the automotive tech. how much am i looking to spend at a shop to do this, labor wise and total job-wise. I'm pretty much pissed and very upset right now it is the worst thing that could have happend and the worst time. oh well i will survive.

thanx
shane

P.S. (Gauging intrests) 89 SC 5spd for sale very good condition, $1,200 gloss white paint job, many mods, ran great, needs minor mechanical work such as head gaskets :p

P.S.S. Accepting donations for my Head Gasket repair fund PM me for mailing info, all donations will go to a good cause and greatly appreciated ;) :D

Felpro upper gasket set that includes the head gaskets and all the other gaskets you will need sells for about $125 at AutoZone. You will also need new head bolts and I'm not sure what they cost, I'm guessing around $40.

If having a shop do the job expect to pay around $1200.

Good luck with the car.

David

Get the ARP head stud kit from Summit, p/n ARP-233-4003, $81.99 for the set.
These beat the heck outa the Ford torque to yield bolts, cheaper too!

do you think anyone could get me the part number for the felpro hg's from Autozone, b/c the guy cant seem to find it, i think he was new, but would be easier with a part number just to make sure, thanx again

shane

also just wondering, are there any better hg's out there, or do these seem to be the best for our cars at the moment? thanx

The part number from the autozone website (www.autozone.com) is HS9642PT (for a '93 anyway). However the website says that it is not available at the store for some reason. Try calling around to other parts stores (might even try a non chain store if you want real service) and compare prices. I found quite a variance in prices when I called around a few years back.

You'll probably also want to plan on a new O2 sensor on the side that blew and might as well throw some plugs in there as well. If you are staying mostly stock the new replacement head bolts should work just fine for you. Hopefully these guys know what they are doing.

I called around and my friend from high school, his parents own an auto shop and he said this is what he can do for me...

they will replace the whole gasket kit, not just heads but exhaust, ect... and to have the heads machined and clean everything up...
total is $900

does that seem like a really good deal? should i go with this.

and they are very well known for thier quality in our town so that isn't a question that they will do it right

thanx
shane

Back