PDA

View Full Version : Clutch

xThunderbirdSCx
10-21-2005, 04:45 PM
My clutch engages very far in the back travel (last 5%). Is there anyway to adjust this to make it engage sooner, or do you think my clutch is going bad? It seems to grip fine.

xThunderbirdSCx
10-22-2005, 12:27 PM
bump....does anyone know about this?

CMac89
10-22-2005, 12:56 PM
That seems about right to me. Did you just notice it or did it all of a sudden start doing this. Also, is it a stock clutch?

xThunderbirdSCx
10-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Stock clutch, always has done it (since last Feb when i bought it). Other cars clutches engage in like the first 3 inches of back travel. Mine engages in the last 1 inch. All i have to do to shift is push the pedal in like 2 inches, instead of the, say, full 10 or whatever. Do i need a new clutch? Is there a way i can adjust this one?

CMac89
10-22-2005, 03:27 PM
Only reason it would do that is if the clutch is getting thin. How does the pedal feel?

Mike8675309
10-22-2005, 04:36 PM
The volume of fluid in the clutch master cylinder is limited. As the clutch wears the distance the slave cylinder needs to move to release the clutch decreases. That will create less travel necessary in the pedal to release and apply the clutch.

Thus yes, you're clutch is probably worn, or it's new and someone didn't shim the slave cylinder up to spec, or someone turned the flywheel down and didn't shim the slave cylinder. As long as the clutch is fully releasing before you run out of travel, it'll be o.k. If you don't know how old the clutch is, assume it's old and start saving for a new one.

Due to the torque on the sc motor, you do get some pretty good warning signs early in the failure. Usually you'll start to notice intermittant "slips" during WOT jaunts through the gears. When that starts to happen, you have got about a month of clutch left, longer if you baby it.