PDA

View Full Version : Helllllppppp!!!!!!

dirtybird442
10-22-2005, 11:27 PM
Okay,
i hate to admit this, but i AM a new SC owner with no previous knowledge of these vehicles. I DO however have automotive knowledge and am still stumped! I have a 92 SC automatic which is giving me problems. I was driving one day and when i hit a decent bump everything would shut off just for a second. The radio, radar detector, engine and all. Just for a second though. The engine would catch and it would keep driving until the next bump. The next day it started even weirder crap. On top of the bump cutoff thing, when i shift into reverse the car shakes, tries to stall, and the gauges bounce like a kangaroo on crack. If anyone could help, PLEASE do. I only got to drive her for 2 MONTHS after buying her, and i had already fallen in love with her. I want her back!!

Hossman

super-merc
10-22-2005, 11:38 PM
Okay,
i hate to admit this, but i AM a new SC owner with no previous knowledge of these vehicles. I DO however have automotive knowledge and am still stumped! I have a 92 SC automatic which is giving me problems. I was driving one day and when i hit a decent bump everything would shut off just for a second. The radio, radar detector, engine and all. Just for a second though. The engine would catch and it would keep driving until the next bump. The next day it started even weirder crap. On top of the bump cutoff thing, when i shift into reverse the car shakes, tries to stall, and the gauges bounce like a kangaroo on crack. If anyone could help, PLEASE do. I only got to drive her for 2 MONTHS after buying her, and i had already fallen in love with her. I want her back!!

Hossman
Start with the obvious, check all the battery connections. Make sure they are clean and tight. Next thing I would check is the infamous ignition switch, it may be falling apart and not making the proper connections. The switch has had many problems witht the plastic wearing out and failing prematurely. Do a search for ignition switch and read up on this very common problem. You may have dislodged an upper or lower supercharger pipe and it may be leaking air which will cause your engine to not idle properly. See if any of this helps, Rob

dirtybird442
10-22-2005, 11:44 PM
Start with the obvious, check all the battery connections. Make sure they are clean and tight. Next thing I would check is the infamous ignition switch, it may be falling apart and not making the proper connections. The switch has had many problems witht the plastic wearing out and failing prematurely. Do a search for ignition switch and read up on this very common problem. You may have dislodged an upper or lower supercharger pipe and it may be leaking air which will cause your engine to not idle properly. See if any of this helps, Rob

Sorry,
I guess i should have mentioned that i have checked the battery cables and where the ground connects to the block. I also ran the engine and wiggled every wiring harness i could get to easily. Vacuum/Boost gauges reads normal and i don't hear any air leaks under the hood.

Thanx in advance to all who contribute.

Hossman

BT Motorsports
10-23-2005, 12:37 AM
Check out this post:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=129700&postcount=15

Paul

Jimmy 2Coupes
10-23-2005, 03:24 AM
You might want to checkout your harmonioc balancr also.

TwoToneThunder
10-23-2005, 03:38 AM
where in michigan are you?????

sizemoremk
10-23-2005, 03:56 AM
Check out this post:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=129700&postcount=15

Paul

That is exactly what I was thinking!

MercsSC
10-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Being new to the SC check your motor mounts .....look under front at bottom of oil pan .. make sure ..it is not hanging below the cross member...if it is ... it could be causing your problems as the engine bounces around ....dave

mannysc
10-23-2005, 11:50 AM
the ignition switch is most likely,
but also check the wire harness that leads thru the firewall,

and the fuse box under dash driverside these have a habit of melting if wrong fuse is installed also the main fuse box at engine bay some that ive parted out have burned wires under side of this box.

dirtybird442
10-23-2005, 11:59 AM
where in michigan are you?????

I live in LaSalle, just south of Monroe.

dirtybird442
10-23-2005, 12:01 PM
I guess I'll take a look at the ignition switch in an hour or so. I'll let you guys know what i find. Thanx again.

Hossman :cool:

dirtybird442
10-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Postponed the exam until i got back from seeing that new movie DOOM. Kix A$$!! Anyways, i have the column apart now, and it looks like the guy before me tried to get the switch out, but didn't have the anti-theft torx bit and just gave up. I picked one up on the way back from the movie, $14 isn't too bad. I'll put it in after dinner, then i'll see what happens and update you all.
Thanx again,

BT Motorsports
10-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Postponed the exam until i got back from seeing that new movie DOOM. Kix A$$!! Anyways, i have the column apart now, and it looks like the guy before me tried to get the switch out, but didn't have the anti-theft torx bit and just gave up. I picked one up on the way back from the movie, $14 isn't too bad. I'll put it in after dinner, then i'll see what happens and update you all.
Thanx again,

I should mention, while the column is apart, check the harness' in there. When I change mine out, I found one of the plugs (5 wire comes to mind, but dont quote me on that) was melted pretty good. It was about 5 inches from the ignition switch. Standard ignition products had a replacement for about $7.

Paul

dirtybird442
10-23-2005, 07:01 PM
SUCCESS!!!! Pulled the old one out and the plastic and metal sections were pulling apart. Put the new one in, put the battery back in, started it, put it in reverse and it ran beautifully!! No bouncing gauges and no stalling. I'm gonna road test her tomorrow. Thanx so much guys. This kept me from losing my faith in and love of the SC's. I'm gonna be one happy little f____ing camper when i get to drive her again!!!

Thanx,

Hossman :p

PS. I did check all wiring and connectors while in there and everything was fine.

littleboylan
10-23-2005, 09:31 PM
I live in Monroe, just wondering what color car you got? I have been seeing more and more SC'S around town these days, glad to see someone else with sc fever too.

By the way, good to see you fixed your problem. Mike

dirtybird442
10-23-2005, 09:48 PM
You live in Monroe?
Screen name littleboylan, and you signed Mike.... so i'm assuming your name is Mike Boylan? If so, this is Josh Braden (Hoss).... with the 442. Private message me back if it's you and we can get together and i'll show you mine. It's black by the way.

Hossman :eek:

TwoToneThunder
10-24-2005, 02:22 AM
i live in trenton when im not in school
thats pretty cool howd u get the car i havent seen to many running around