few questions, did a search

DazedNConfuzed

I got the 90 SC in the garage now... Already shes becoming a money pit. I know the harmonic balancers were an issue on these cars, but everyone i've played with has been a 93+ unit. I wanted to replace the harmonic balancer while i had most of the motor apart replacing the blower, some gaskets, clutch, slave and master cylinder. Anything else on this particular year i should be aware of? I plan on replacing
front suspenion parts
power steering pump (well i'll reseal it)
HOSES! (sooo many of them for the oil cooler and etc, and i don't think ford carries them anymore)
engine mounts (after almost 100K, i think its worth the 40 dollars for mounts, looks like a PAIN to install though)
clutch, clutch master and slave
ujoints
Any other known issues with this year would be wonderful... In the meantime i'm going to finish up cleaning the garage to get my other car inside for this durn hurricane... hmm i forgot to see if the generator still starts.

The only thing off the top of my head I can think of is the the oil pump. Supposedly the 94/5 oil pump is a much better design and is considered an upgrade.

ABS Master Cylinder is the only non-engine related issue I can think of. You may want to upgrade the front spindles to the 92+ models with the appropriate hubs so you can use the more prevalent brake parts.

If you're thinking custom wheels, it might be a good time to do the mustang hub swap.

Mike8675309 said:
ABS Master Cylinder is the only non-engine related issue I can think of. You may want to upgrade the front spindles to the 92+ models with the appropriate hubs so you can use the more prevalent brake parts.

If you're thinking custom wheels, it might be a good time to do the mustang hub swap.
What exactly is a problem with the ABS master cylinder? Burning the hydraulic pump out? Or the stupid bladders inside like the dodges?

All of the above.

Prior to 1993 the SC's used the TEVES Mark II 3 channel ABS system. It uses an integral master cylinder/hydraulic pump/accumulator. It uses hydraulic pressure for brake assist. It uses a nitrogen filled accumulator to store hydraulic pressure. Over time the nitrogen escapes the accumulator causing the hydraulic motor to have to work a higher duty cycle than it was designed for, usually leading to hydraulic pump motor relay failure, and then hydraulic pump motor failure.

There are a couple companies that can rebuild them.

There is a bunch of good technical info on the system at the 35th Anny Registry site.
http://www.35ththunderbirdregistry.org/Tips/ABS.htm

Back