harmonic balancer

90blkbrd

I swear I saw a post where David D. stated he took apart and lubricated a HB. But I can't find it.

Is there any preventative maintenance that can be done to prolong the life of a HB?

I only have 86K on the car and want to wait for one of the new alternatives that should happen soon.

The only thing that can really prolong the life of the balancer is getting a new crank bolt. I say this because you'll know if your balancer is bad whenever the crank bolt is missing.

the stock balancer last around 120k-150k miles and is relatively cheap ,
you can have it rebuilt for $100 almost the cost of a new one. well close anyway. I rebuilt mine at home cost $15 BUT MOST DONT HAVE THE TIME OR SKILL TO DO THIS .

mine is going 5k since I did it. best way to preserve it? well dont start engine up make sure all bolts are tight, and you shoud be ok for over 100k miles.

things break when loose if it goes on easy its bad a snug fit is the clue to a tight long lasting balancer its alluminum if its loose replace it the hole is already worn out of round and will wobble and cause failure.

Be carefull with your BHJ install if you are going that way. I just had my bolt beak again about 200 miles after my BHJ install. Measure your crank snout and the ID of the balancer and make sure they match the specs from BHJ. I didn't. I just lightly honed it and it seemed to have the right clearence when it went on. Now it's about 001-.002 to big. Also use the long bolt if you go BHJ. I used the Mustang bolt, only 5 threads hold when installed. I'm going to use the long bolt next time.

my bhj balancer came with the longer bolt.i bought it from spinning wheels sc.i wasn't going to make that mistake,read to many horror stories about that

Back