Thinking about a cam

JasonMiller94SC

I'm thinking about putting a cam in my car while I have the heads off the car but I know nothing about them. Do I have to pull the motor to put a cam in? I don't want anything to wild but I figured a mild upgrade would be nice if it doesn't cost a fortune. Can someone offer some suggestions of what would be a good cam for my car with my mods or point me to someone who would know.

CMRE Stage 1

JasonMiller94SC said:
I'm thinking about putting a cam in my car....I don't want anything to wild but I figured a mild upgrade would be nice if it doesn't cost a fortune. Can someone offer some suggestions of what would be a good cam for my car with my mods or point me to someone who would know.
The CMRE stage 1 cam has very close to what XR7Dave says is the optimum SC cam. I was glad to hear that, cuz I bought my Coy 1 quite a while ago. Mine was $310 which included the .080 (I believe) longer pushrods. I sent Coy a core with my order, so I didn't have to pay a core deposit.

From earlier post by XR7 Dave:
For best torque and driveability and if you have vacuum assisted brakes, go with 210/220 dur and about .520-.550" lift. For a nasty screamer make that about 230/240 dur and about .580" lift. Comp cams has new cams available so you don't have to go with a regrind anymore.

68COUGAR

Yes teh 1.8's will affect lift.

Call up Comp cams and ask for Matt Maxwell. He will hook you up with the cam you need based on your modifications

Not to discourage anyone from calling Matt directly, but calling the manufacturer is not always the best use of your available resources.

Speaking with someone who specs, installs, drives and tests the products just might get you a better fit. ;) Expecially if that "someone" is in constant communication with the manufacturer(s) and customers.

Many times I resist posting on threads that ask these types of questions because I don't want people to think that I'm a "know it all" about the subject and also I don't want people to think that I am creating pressure for you to buy something from me.

But on the other hand, I have put a lot of time into researching cam and valvetrain combinations for these cars so I feel that I could probably give you some good pointers. If you want to get stuff from me that's good too.

XR7 Dave said:
Not to discourage anyone from calling Matt directly, but calling the manufacturer is not always the best use of your available resources.
Odd, Kevin Leitem went with the cam manufacturer's spec and he has the fastest M90 SC out there (In fact, it is faster than every non nitrous SC we know of). Do you suppose he just got lucky?

Paul

Didn't kevin go with the spec's his head porter/engine builder gave him. I thought i read that on a post he put up before.

Scott

BT Motorsports said:
Odd, Kevin Leitem went with the cam manufacturer's spec and he has the fastest M90 SC out there (In fact, it is faster than every non nitrous SC we know of). Do you suppose he just got lucky?

Paul

1) Kevin's cam is the recommendation of his engine builder which is exactly what I said above would be "the best use of available resources".

2) The inference that Kevin's sucess in this case is the result of a magical cam spec is just plain ridiculous.

The success of Kevin's car is the result of a carefully executed combination of parts that work together combined with some excellent driving skills and lots of practice.

The race weight of Kevin's car also plays a significant role. But it sure does run good.

David

Last edited:
kiwikiwikiwi said:
Didn't kevin go with the spec's his head porter/engine builder gave him. I thought i read that on a post he put up before.

Scott
Kevin states at the shootout he went with the cam grinder's suggestion (unless he was lying which I doubt was the case). He stated this in response to an inquiry presented to him about who the company was that ground his cam (it wasn't comp or crane either).

David, no inference was or is being made that the cam is the secret to his success, the implication is that Kevin did his homework and trusted the company that makes the product which netted him a very well performing vehicle. Not much of what he has done seams to be mainstream in the community. The fact that his 11 second accomplishments were made without the lately hyped autorotor and SCT software speaks a lot all by itself. No need to get your panties in a bunch, I simply do not agree that a person should not be able to trust the people who are in the business for longer than many of us have been on the planet and feel Kevin's success is just one testament to that.

Paul

Don't worry, panties not in a bunch here. :D

I merely stated that calling Comp directly may not be the best use of resources. Dont' read into what I said more than what is there.

While Comp certainly does sell parts retail, they do not consider themselves to be a first line source for parts. Often they will refer you to Summit or other retailers for better prices on parts.

"Resources" mean your time waiting on hold on the Cam Help line and then in turn waiting for a call back. Matt is a busy guy.

"Resources" also means using his time to your best advantage. Matt is knowledgeable and always willing to help, but it is a much better use of his time for a vendor to call and place an order rather than for him to have to field all the specific questions that an SC owner may have. I find in many cases it takes a couple calls/emails back and forth with an SC owner before a cam profile is decided on. Having someone who has the time and knowledge to answer those questions and can be easily reached can be quite helpful if someone is not real sure what they want.

Use of "resources" also mean that Comp may not be the best source for other parts needed to go with a given cam. Unfortunately Matt can't help you with that but there are others who can.

Anyway, I offered to help with cam selection and expect nothing in return. That was in my first post.

....and who knows, Kevin's success might be in spite of his cam instead of because of it. :p

Last edited:
BT Motorsports said:
The fact that his 11 second accomplishments were made without the lately hyped autorotor and SCT software speaks a lot all by itself. No need to get your panties in a bunch, I simply do not agree that a person should not be able to trust the people who are in the business for longer than many of us have been on the planet and feel Kevin's success is just one testament to that.

Paul

BTW, I have never suggested that someone not follow the advice of people "who've been in the business", perhaps you weren't aware that all Comp cams that I have provided for people have been spec'd with the assistance of Comp Cams personnel? It would be silly of me not to use that resource and follow qualified recommendations.

I think you are taking things a little too hard Paul, as far as I know ALL 11 second SC's so far have utilized M90's and NONE have used SCT software or tuning. What Autorotors have to do with any of this I have no idea, but whatever. Should I post how much Kevin's car weighs as compared to the AR car he ran against at the shootout? Do you really want to take this discussion to that level?

When getting a cutom ground camshaft it is just that..Custom ground. Being Comp has the magical new blank (do others have that now as well?) it's a no brainer to me to give them a call and use thier many many many years of experience making camshafts to your advantage. Many years of SC regrinds and soon to be many years of new grinds for our cars. Plus the countless feedback of every customer happy and unhappy. Noone I know including myself can give you that. I'm sure some people will like you to think that they are a better source but none of us are reinventing the wheel here.

However you can also go through a store, a shop, an individual and pay an extra fee for that service. They will then call up the cam manufacturer themselves.

Hell you can have me do it for you. I need a lil extra cash. On second thought maybe I'll do it for free being I get a discount anyway :O) (and still make a lil on the deal)

My original advice is the same. Call the manufacturer.

Damon

Wow!!! All the guy wants to know is what cam he should run.

No you don't have to pull the heads to put a cam in, although it wouldn't be a bad idea to pull them and have them ported.

I got my cam from a guy on here named "catwithboost." Just shoot him a PM and say you want the 212/220, .531/.539 lift, on a 114LSA cam. That is the cam I am running. It's a nice, mild cam to go with.

I got my brand new cam, pushrods, and valve springs the same week I ordered it from him. You guys are crazy. Something just came up with him. He PM'ed me a couple of weeks ago to see how things were going.

He's a great seller in my book.

This is not the place for this discussion, we were just trying to warn others to check the bad sellers forum.

If you look over at the other thread, you will see that he still owes others LOTS of $$$ or parts.

sizemoremk said:
Make sure you check the bad sellers area before you consider dealing with catwithboost...

Yes, it is a good idea to check the bad seller section before sending someone your money.

CMac89 said:
I got my brand new cam, pushrods, and valve springs the same week I ordered it from him. You guys are crazy. Something just came up with him. He PM'ed me a couple of weeks ago to see how things were going.

He's a great seller in my book.

Glad you had a good experince with Brian Soloman AKA Catwithboost...some of us didn't and we are not crazy.

David

PS: Order the cam from Dave and get one made from the billet blanks instead of a regrind.

Last edited:
Back